extended family or relatives

forgoodorill

Chinese
Hi, everone!
I saw a post on Twitter, but no source. Just saw it from other people's translation.

When my wife(who's shy af ) first meet my extended family, we had a big dinner with about 14 people. At the end of the meal I said"To say thanks, she'd love to sing for you all."Everone went silent and stared at her and she still hasn't forgiven me 9 years later.

This is the text, I want to ask you guys when could I use extended family and when could I use relatives. I think they are same, as a foreigner.
And what's the meaning of 'af', is it something's abbrevation?

Thanks in advance! :)

• owlman5

English-US
    And what's the meaning of 'af', is it something's abbrevation?
    It is the author's way to write who's shy as fuck without actually using that vulgar little word.

This is the text, I want to ask you guys when could I use extended family and when could I use relatives.
    My extended family means something like my large family, including cousins and other relatives who are not members of my nuclear family. You can use my relatives to express roughly the same idea.

Last edited:

forgoodorill

Chinese
    It is the author's way to write Who's shy as fuck without actually using that vulgar little word.

My extended family means something like my large family, including cousins and other relatives who are not members of my nuclear family. You can use my relatives to express roughly the same idea.
    Thanks, owlman5!:thumbsup::)

< Previous | Next >