extended his arms in a broad stretch

Jamal.sh

Persian
Hello everyone.
I'm reading How Do You Live? by Genzaburo Yoshino.

The uncle, taking up a teacup that had been abandoned on his desk,
drank down the now-cold tea in a single swallow, extended his arms in a
broad stretch.

Would you please tell me what in a broad stretch means? Does it mean with all his strength?

Thanks so much 🙏

• lingobingo

English - England
    No. It presumably means he stretched his arms outwards, sideways, in a broad/wide gesture. But it reads oddly. With no conjunction, “extending” would have been more natural than “extended”.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    With no conjunction, “extending” would have been more natural than “extended”.

It seems fine to me. I'm not sure "extending" would work.
    The uncle, taking up a teacup that had been abandoned on his desk,drank down the now-cold tea in a single swallow, extended his arms in a
    broad stretch.

lingobingo

English - England
    You’re right. It would make more sense grammatically, but probably not practically! I suppose he stretched his arms out after drinking the tea, niot at the same time.

I agree that there needs to be an "and" in front of "extended his arms in a broad stretch."

I take that statement to mean that the uncle extended his arms out from his sides as far, or nearly as far, as he could, perhaps as part of a stretch, the way people stretch after having been sitting in a chair or riding in a car for a long time.