extinct & extincted

rachelwwl

Chinese
Dear all,

Can "extinct" be used as a verb? I looked up to some dictionaries. Most of them show it is an adjective but some dicgtionaries show it can be a verb too.

Pls advise on how we use it when it's a verb. Thanks a lot!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The OED has an entry for extinct as a verb, a use they mark 'obsolete'. The most recent citation they offer is from the 17th century.
    a1626 Bacon Elements Common Lawes (1636) ix. 39 If I had purchased the land myselfe, then I had extincted mine owne condition.​

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Extinct was already formed as the past participle of extinguish. What happens to a species when there are no more living individuals is "it becomes extinct".

rachelwwl

Chinese
    Thanks both!

but i found extinct can be used as a verb on ".merriam-webster" ,,so im quite confused. (since i cannot post URL, i only type the webiste name)

Cagey

English - US
    Thanks both!

But I found extinct can be used as a verb on ".Merriam-Webster" ,so I'm quite confused. (Since I cannot post URL, I only type the website name.)
    It does indeed. Here is a link to their entry. (You will have to click the entry for 'verb' to see it.)

Look up "extinct" at Merriam-Webster

This is the definition:
    extinct
    verb
    Definition of EXTINCT
    transitive verb
    archaic : extinguish
    archaic means that it is old fashioned and no longer used.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thanks both!

but i found extinct can be used as a verb on ".merriam-webster" ,,so im quite confused. (since i cannot post URL, i only type the webiste name)
    I went there and saw the word "archaic" next to the meaning of the verb. When you see "archaic" next to a dictionary entry, it means that it was used that way but is no longer. Today, it is only used as an adjective.

Last edited:

rachelwwl

Chinese
    That means extinct (verb) is already the p.p. of extinguish, so there's no such a word of "extincted". am i correct?

thanks!

Cagey

English - US
    That means extinct (verb) is already the p.p. of extinguish, so there's no such a word of "extincted". Am I correct?

Thanks!
    As you can see from the citation I quoted in post #3, when extinct was used as a verb, it was treated as the present tense, with extincted as a past participle:
    a1626 Bacon Elements Common Lawes (1636) ix. 39 If I had purchased the land myselfe, then I had extincted mine owne condition.

< Previous | Next >