"extinguish the fire "

roniy

ISRAEL: Fluent Hebrew ( Speak Russian, Learning English)
"extinguish the fire "

Are there other word synonyms to "extinguish"??

What about "put off", "turn off"
???

THanks.

• Moogey

USA English
    You can extinguish a fire, and you can put it out, but you most certainly cannot turn it off :D (it gives me the impression that there's a switch and whenever you want to put the fire out, you just need to flip it... oh, how much better things would be if this were possible!)

-M

Fernita

castellano de Argentina.
    Moogey said:
    You can extinguish a fire, and you can put it out, but you most certainly cannot turn it off :D (it gives me the impression that there's a switch and whenever you want to put the fire out, you just need to flip it... oh, how much better things would be if this were possible!)

-M
    :D

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    roniy said:
    "extinguish the fire "

Are there other word synonyms to "extinguish"??

What about "put off", "turn off"
    ???

THanks.
    It depends on the type of fire.

"put out" would be used of a wood or coal fire
    "turn off" would be used of a gas fire (or an electric heater style of 'fire')
    "put off" is not a common expression, but I have heard it used in relation to gas and electric heating - someone leaving a room might say to a remaining occupant "Would you put off the fire before you go to bed please?"

You can also "beat a fire out". In Scotland, where heather clads the foothills of pine plantations, sometimes the heather catches fire. Alll along the roadside you will see "beaters" (like these) for use in emergencies before the flames reach the trees.

"Beaters" are also placed in moorland areas where the heather often catches fire.

A fire may also be "damped down". My mother used to damp down the fire before we went to bed by piling damp kitchen waste on it (potato peel, cabbage leaves, the day's tea leaves, etc.) This kept it smouldering through the night, then a quick poke in the morning would revive it. :D

LRV

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    la reine victoria said:
    This kept it smouldering through the night, then a quick poke in the morning would revive it. :D
    Any comment I could make would be superfluous! :D

We used to put a layer of peat briquettes (highly compressed bog-turf) onto the embers when I was young, and cover them with the ashes from the fire. This kept the fire alive burning slowly all night.

< Previous | Next >