Extinto o processo

simonala

English (U.S.)
Hi everyone,

Could you help me translate the bolded words below? It's from a summary of proceedings in a state Court of Appeals in Brazil that has been terminated (record accessed online). The adoptive parents were accused of child abuse but were ultimately found to be innocent. In one section, the most recent developments in the case are listed in order by date (for confidentiality I will write in xx/xx/xxxx in place of the actual dates). Thank you in advance!

Últimas Movimentações:
xx/xx/xxxx EXTINTO O PROCESSO POR AUSÊNCIA DAS CONDIÇÕES DA AÇÃO
xx/xx/xxxx DECLARADA INCOMPETÊNCIA
xx/xx/xxxx BAIXA DEFINITIVA

My attempt based on online searches: PROCEEDINGS DISMISSED FOR LACK OF PROCEDURAL CONDITIONS.

• Carfer

Portuguese - Portugal
    The best suggestion I can offer without further context is 'case closed for lack of procedural conditions'. I'm a little puzzled by you saying they have been found innocent. Does that mean they were acquitted? Acquittal assumes there was a ruling on guilt, but lack of procedural conditions is not about guilt, but about conditions that must be fulfilled in order to a trial to take place (the act or acts must be punishable, the parts must be legitimate, there must be an minimum of evidence, etc.)

simonala

English (U.S.)
    Hi machadinho and Carfer,

Thank you both very much! And to your point, Carfer, I apologize that I've loosely used these terms "found innocent." The problem is that the adoptive parents themselves keep saying they were "found innocent" (inocentados), but they are speaking in layman's terms. I understand it's not technically accurate. My understanding of what exactly happened in these proceedings is very limited. It's based on the abovementioned 1-pager, a procedural report written by the adoptive parents' attorney, and the testimony of the adoptive parents to me. I appreciate your assistance greatly!

< Previous | Next >