extra collision coverage

VicNicSor

Russian
— Lieutenant Harley, I've been ordered to review your records. You were discharged from the service 18 months ago for willful insubordination. You disobeyed a direct order and lost a $30 million fighter in the process.
— Yes, I did, but I'm paying it off at 10 bucks a week, and I wouldn't be doing if I'd gotten that extra collision coverage.

Hot Shots!, film

What does that mean please?
Thank you.

• Myridon

English - US
    It's a joke, of course. If he had taken out a better insurance policy, it would have paid for the damages.

heypresto

English - England
    I think he's suggesting (not seriously, I assume) that if he had taken out an insurance policy that covered him in the event of a collision, he wouldn't now be paying out.

Cross-posted.

Myridon

English - US
    He didn't have any coverage at all. That's part of the joke. He's speaking about the plane as if it were his personal property or a rental car.

Packard

USA, English
    In the USA when you rent a car the rental agent will ask if you want to buy extra insurance. That extra insurance will cover any damage to the car while in your possession. Most people have cars with insurance and that typically will cover the rental car too (with the same deductable).

This article explains it:

If you’ve ever rented a car, you’ve probably been warned by salespeople at the counter about the possible consequences of walking away without buying their company’s rental car insurance. Put on the spot, you might not feel confident about exactly what your current auto insurance covers. And that’s what rental companies are counting on — along with their commissions for selling you the coverage.

As pretty much everyone has stated above, it is meant to be humorous.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    It's standard, when renting a car, for the rental company to offer different types of insurance to protect the renter from financial liability in case of an accident. The best insurance (which also costs the most money) means that the driver doesn't have to pay anything, no matter what happens to the car or whose fault it was. People who rent cars frequently are familiar with this concept. Lt. Harley is making a joke about this, comparing the fighter plane to a rental car.

He had no coverage. He was a military pilot flying a military plane. Military pilots are not financially responsible for the aircraft they fly, though they may be punished in other ways if they disobey orders or fly unsafely. It's a joke. Just a joke. That's all.

Cross-posted.

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Russian
    One question please. What does the word "extra" specifically add in such contexts (e.g., rental cars). "Extra" beyond what?

Packard

USA, English
    One question please. What does the word "extra" specifically add in such contexts (e.g., rental cars). "Extra" beyond what?
    Car rentals come with liability coverage. If you damage someone else's car that damage is covered; if you injure someone that damage is covered. What is not covered is the vehicle you are driving.

Myridon

English - US
    Car rentals come with liability coverage. If you damage someone else's car that damage is covered; if you injure someone that damage is covered. What is not covered is the vehicle you are driving.
    Additionally: When purchasing personal car insurance, you can pick various levels of the various coverages. If you think you're only going to run into Fords, you can stick with whatever the default level is. If you think you might run into a Ferrari, you might want to pay a higher premium to get extra coverage.

Packard

USA, English
    Additionally: When purchasing personal car insurance, you can pick various levels of the various coverages. If you think you're only going to run into Fords, you can stick with whatever the default level is. If you think you might run into a Ferrari, you might want to pay a higher premium to get extra coverage.
    Even for the Folland Gnat, though I doubt you could drive a Hertz into one. :)

I just looked this up and the Folland Gnat was envisioned as a low cost fighter (30 million dollars!). It was never used by the British as a fighter, but was used as a trainer. It was never sold to the USA. So I don't know how historically accurate the movie is.

Myridon

English - US
    I just looked this up and the Folland Gnat was envisioned as a low cost fighter (30 million dollars!). It was never used by the British as a fighter, but was used as a trainer. It was never sold to the USA. So I don't know how historically accurate the movie is.
    In the movie, the plane is "playing the role" of a fictional airplane called the "Oscar EW-5894 Fallus Tactical Fighter Bomber."

< Previous | Next >