extrapolate

Ross

Scotland, English
Can anyone explain to me what extrapolate means in this extract from an interview lwtter i received. "If possible each candidate should extrapolate on the concept for the activity they choose to introduce to the young people." Slightly confused and my interview is next week.

The_Real_Morango@Hotmail.com (there are underscores between each word)

• lsp

NY
    US, English
    Ross said:
    Can anyone explain to me what extrapolate means in this extract from an interview lwtter i received. "If possible each candidate should extrapolate on the concept for the activity they choose to introduce to the young people." Slightly confused and my interview is next week.

The_Real_Morango@Hotmail.com (there are underscores between each word)
    I have some idea, but I would really like to see the rest of the letter's original question. I suspect there is something that comes before this regarding the activity that must be chosen to be introduced to the young people that will shed more light.

Tomas Robinson

USA, English & Spanish
    Ross said:
    "If possible each candidate should extrapolate on the concept for the activity they choose to introduce to the young people."
    Hi Ross...in this context I think they want you to create a plan for "the activity". How would you do it? In other words, they want concrete DETAILS. :eek:

Cheers! :D

amenrah0303

Banned
    mexico spanish english
    Hi Ross! Here's the answer to your question;

EXTRAPOLATE
    2 a : to project, extend, or expand (known data or experience) into an area not known or experienced so as to arrive at a usually conjectural knowledge of the unknown area <extrapolates present trends to construct an image of the future>

Ross

Scotland, English
    Thanks thats cleared up alot, must go and see if i can adapt that into all my interview prep now. Cheers to everyone who helped on this one. there will be mor to come...im sure.

Special K

USA English
    Ross said:

Personally, I think whoever wrote the letter may have misused the word "extrapolate."

Generally, if you have some data on a topic, and you say that given this known data we can predict a certain occurance that is not really known for sure, then this is extrapolation. That is, extrapolation is to project an assumed trend based on known data.

I think that they really probably meant to expound or elaborate (i.e. provide more details on) your idea.