extrapolate

Ross

Scotland, English
Can anyone explain to me what extrapolate means in the following interview letter extract.

"If possible each candidate should extrapolate on the concept for the activity they choose to introduce to the young people."

Email The_Real_Morango@Hotmail.com (Underscores between words)

Cheers, Ross

• Focalist

European Union, English
    Hmm. Looks to me like a misusage of the word "extrapolate", which means: infer or estimate (unknown information) by extending or projecting known information.

Normally one extrapolates (information A) from (information B), so your guess is as good as mine as to what the writer means by "extrapolate on...".

It could be they mean: "elaborate on..." If so, it doesn't say much for the literacy level of the interviewer! :)

F

elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Focalist said:
    Hmm. Looks to me like a misusage of the word "extrapolate", which means: infer or estimate (unknown information) by extending or projecting known information.

Normally one extrapolates (information A) from (information B), so your guess is as good as mine as to what the writer means by "extrapolate on...".

It could be they mean: "elaborate on..." If so, it doesn't say much for the literacy level of the interviewer! :)

F

Yeah, I agree. I think "elaborate" would work best here...but of course, so would a bunch of other verbs, so who knows?!

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    Ross said:
    Can anyone explain to me what extrapolate means in the following interview letter extract.

"If possible each candidate should extrapolate on the concept for the activity they choose to introduce to the young people."

Probably a mistake. Possibly he meant to say ''each candidate should extemporize on the concept''

extemporize

v : perform without preparation; "he extemporized a speech at the wedding" [syn: improvise, improvize, ad-lib, extemporise]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University