extremely rural village, very small town

HilfswilligerGenosse

German, High German
What would an "extremely rural village (or very small town)" be called in other languages?

In German, we can call such a place a Kaff or - more derogatorily - Kuhkaff (from Kuh=cow). There are also some fictitious place names used for extremely rural villages (or occasionally villages that you can't remember the name of).

Some of them are:

Hintertupfing(en) - lit. "behind Tupfingen"
Kleinkleckersdorf - lit. "village of small mess" or, more freely translated, Smallmessville.

regionally (in the North and West of Germany), Pusemuckel or Posemuckel is used - derived from two existing villages in what is now Poland (and was German before the war).

• 810senior

Japanese
    Japanese: what I come up with right now is ど田舎do-inaka, the word with a do , used for emphasis, placed right ahead of 田舎inaka that signifies a rural town. (sometimes as a vulgar usage we add a 糞kuso, meaning shit or faces, ahead of it too)

Armas

Finnish
    Finnish:

Perähikiä < perä- "back", hikiä could be from hiki "sweat" but there is also a village called Hikiä.
    Takahikiä < taka- "back" + hikiä
    tuppukylä
    < tuppu(?) + kylä "village"
    peräkylä < perä- "back" + kylä "village"
    syrjäkylä < syrjä "edge" + kylä "village"
    takapajula < taka- "back" + paju "willow" + -la forms nouns that signify a place (there's also adj. takapajuinen "backward, underdeveloped")
    kyläpahanen < kylä "village" + pahanen "wretched, miserable, poor" from paha "bad, evil", -nen diminutive suffix

apmoy70

Greek
    Well, in Greek village is «χωριό» [xorˈʝo] (neut.) with synizesis from the Byz. Greek «χωριόν» khōrión (neut.) --> rural village < Classical neut. noun «χωρίον» kʰōríŏn --> space, place, location, estate < Classical fem. noun «χώρᾱ» kʰṓrā --> space, interspace, place, position, rank, location, region, estate, land, country (possibly from PIE *ǵʰoh₁-reh₂- < *ǵʰeh₁- to leave behind cf Skt. जहाति (jahāti), to renounce, neglect).

For emphasis (although vulgar and derogatory) we use «κωλοχώρι» [koloˈxoɾi] (neut.) :warning: --> lit. arse-village (shitty-village), often followed by the adverb «πουθενά» [puθeˈna] --> nowhere:
    «Κωλοχώρι στο πουθενά» [koloˈxoɾi sto puθeˈna] --> shitty-village in nowhere-land.

Τhe fictitious generic name of an extremely rural and isolated village is «Κωλοπετινίτσα/Κολοπετινίτσα» (both spellings are common) [kolopetiˈniʦ͡a] (fem.) which means village in the middle of nowhere and has interesting etymology. It's a corruption of the Ladino Kulopansa; the Jews of Thessaloniki used the expression mete a Kulopansa (Sp: meterse en Kulopansa) --> get in the middle of nowhere < Ottoman Turkish قولوبه‌ (kulübe), hut.

Edit: Apologies for my late edition, I added another spelling of Κωλοπετινίτσα

Last edited:

rusita preciosa

Modus forendi
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian:

Make up place names:
    Мухосранск /muchosransk/ - ~ Fly-Shit-ville ("fly" as in the insect)
    Ебеня :warning: /yebenya/ - ~ Fuck-village
    Зажопинск /zajopinsk/ - ~ Behind-ass-ville

Used for a general backward or far-away place:
    тмутаракань /tmutarakan/ - it used to be an actual town with a Turkic name near the Sea of Azov, but in Russian it sounds like "dark-cockroach-ness", so it took a figurative meaning
    медвежий угол / medvajiy ugol/ - bear's corner
    жопа мира /jopa mira/ - ass of the world
    дыра /dyra/ - hole

EDIT:
    My favorites in English:
    :warning: Bum Fuck Egypt or BFE
    armpit
    boonies
    boondoks
    one-horse town

Last edited:

bibax

Czech (Prague)
    Czech:

Zlámaná Lhota (quite old and common expression):

zlámaný (zlomený) = broken (like in 'broken arm, bone');
    Lhota (with various attributes) was a common name of newly founded villages that were exempt from duties for a time period (lhóta, now lhůta, means '[exemption] time period, term', < *lehota 'lightness, ease' < lehký 'light, not heavy, easy');

:warning: Prdelovice = Assville, a village/town which is complete fucking ass hole and is annoying as shit; the name is often extended to Horní Prdelovice or Dolní Prdelovice (horní 'upper' and dolní 'lower' are common attributes to the place names);
    :warning: prdel = ass, arse, dum;

A general backward or far-away place (like in Russian):
    prdel světa = ass of the world;
    díra = hole;

Last edited:

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
    (I thought I had answered, but I had not passed on my message, I am afraid) It is also something like boerendorp (farmers' village) or godvergeten dorp (God-forgotten) aan het einde van de wereld (at the end of the world)?

Scholiast

In more serious vein, there is the English noun "hamlet", not to be confused with a certain Prince of Denmark or with a cigar—"ham" (originally Anglo-Saxon, cf. German heim), found in numerous place-names ("Birmingham", "Nottingham" &c.), with the diminutive suffix -let. Such settlements may be too small even to have their own churches.

Σ

eno2

Dutch-Flemish

ninecats

Turkish - Turkey
    In Turkish,

I'm not sure but those might be proper for it.

Allah'ın unuttuğu yer. --- The place where God has forgotten.
    Or Dağbaşı. --- The top (head) of the mountain.
    Or Kuş uçmaz kervan geçmez yer. --- The place where there is no bird that flies and no caravan that stops by.
    Or Cehennemin dibi. --- The bottom of the hell.

Ciprianus

Banned
    Castellano Argentina
    Spanish:
    pueblito
    caserío
    villa
    villorrio
    (pejorative)
    lugar 4. m. Población pequeña, menor que villa y mayor que aldea.
    (En un lugar de la Mancha, de cuyo nombre no quiero acordarme... Don Quijote)

Ciprianus

Banned
    Castellano Argentina
    Some more in Spanish:
    burgo nm (aldea pequeña) burg, hamlet n (WR dic.)

rancherío
    1. m. Arg., Chile y Ur. Conjunto desordenado y miserable deviviendas precarias en las zonas rurales.

ranchería

• f. Conjunto de ranchos o chozas que forman una especie de poblado.
    (WR dic.)

< Previous | Next >