Extremely saying

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Byakuya, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Byakuya Senior Member

Japanese
    Hi,

Do you use "etremely saying" meaning "to put it in an extreme way"?

I found this expression in a textbook (published in Japan), but I found just 247 examples on google.

If this expression is not correct, what do you say to express "to put it in an extreme way"?

2. xqby

xqby Senior Member

Oxnard, CA
    English (U.S.)
    No, I don't think that makes sense.

Can you give an example of what putting something "in an extreme way" would look like? Like I said, I'm not familiar with the expression. The verb that comes to mind is "to exaggerate," but it's hard to say for certain.

3. Byakuya Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you, xqby.

For example,

"To put it in an extreme way (or to put it extremely), you don't have to be considerated of other people, because human beings are naturally selfish".

"To put it in an extreme way, it is no use studying English because you have no oppotunity to use it."

The example of the textbook is:
    "Extremely saying, commercials are the symbol of the times"

In these cases, are there more natural expressions?

4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Initially, I thought this might be a mistranslation of the phrase "extremely telling." If something is extremely telling, it is significant or communicates or signifies significant information.

For example, if a vase is broken and my little nephew is nowhere to be found, I might say that his absence is extremely telling.

5. Byakuya Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you, bibliolept.

I found a possible expression: "say an extreme thing"

Saying an extreme thing, all people are selfish.

I think the author who wrote the textbook intended to mean "saying an extreme thing" by "Extremely saying".

6. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    "Extremely saying" sounds very odd to me, Byakuya - and none of the other options with "extreme" sound very natural either:(.

I think what I would use in the contexts you've given is "To be blunt". "Bluntly speaking" might also work.

7. Aumont Member

I would also go for "to put it bluntly".

You said it was in a textbook published in Japan; how would you put it in Japanese? Maybe using "honto"? Then you could say something like "There really is no point in being nice to people (...)" or "There is actually no point in studying English (...)"

8. I agree that "blunt" could work in some contexts, but it implies that the statement is true, or at least that the speaker believes it to be true.

On the other hand, making an extreme statement can mean that the speaker is taking a fact and carrying it beyond strict truth into the realm of extremeness or exaggeration.

I'm not sure there is a single word in English to convey that meaning. We would normally use a phrase like "taking it to extremes [or the extreme], one could say ..." Another way we do this is to make the extreme statement and then qualify it with something like "that's an extreme statement, but ..."

9. Yulan

Yulan Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Hello everyone,

Would "To look at it from an extreme point of view" make sense ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback :)

10. grubble

grubble Senior Member

South of England, UK
    British English
    Byakuya - please check your textbook very carefullly. Does it say exactly this? If so I am sorry to say that whoever wrote your textbook has given an incorrect example.

What is the name of the author of the book?

11. Byakuya Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you all very much.

I think that "bluntly" expresses a speaker's attitude.

I believe what the author tries to tell is what Yulan suggests: to look at it from an extreme point of view. So, this phrase or some phrases expressing this meaning are the most appropriate.

What do you think?

12. Byakuya Senior Member

Japanese
    Thank you, grubble,

Yes. The textbook says: Extremely saying, commercials are the symbol of the times because commercials sometimes make words that are going around and we can know what kind of things or persons were popular in each time.

However, this sentence is given as a BAD model essay. So, the author perhaps might have cited a student answer.

I can't tell the author's name, because I feel bad for them. I'm sorry.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  13. Yulan

Yulan Senior Member

Lombardia
    Italian
    Thanks Byakuya, :)

Actually I thought about that possibility because I heard a BE friend of mine talking of someone's "extreme views".

I asked about this expression and he replied that "extreme views" means "an extremist's opions" (such as the opinions that may be expressed by an extreme right/left winger or right/left wing-extremist in politics).

I do not know if this can somehow help you :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  14. I agree with Grubble. This is an example of poor English; I don't know if it's incorrect per se, but it's awkward, bad style and unidiomatic.

If the author had written "extremely speaking," it would have been a better, more natural choice, although I still think it is not quite good usage. (Why does "speaking" work - sort of - where "saying" does not? Because "speaking" can be used to refer to the manner in which we speak/talk/say things. "Saying" cannot.)