Eyewash (rubbish)

Roymalika

Punjabi
Eyewash (informal):
Rubbish
(WR Dictionary)

Don't talk such eyewash. (means Don't talk such rubbish)

Have I used "eyewash" correctly in the above sentence?

• Packard

USA, English
    I never heard it either (USA). I Googled it: From the Oxford Dictionary which I guess has a BE orientation.

What is the origin of "eyewash"?

1. A wash or lotion for the eye.
    2. colloq. Something that is intended to obscure or conceal actual facts or motives; humbug, blarney; nonsense; something said or done merely for appearance or effect; spec. in Mil. slang = bull n.4 4.

Myridon

English - US
    I never heard it either (USA). I Googled it: From the Oxford Dictionary which I guess has a BE orientation.
    I've never heard it either, but every dictionary lists it and none of them makes any remark other than "informal" or "slang", i.e. no "British", no "dated", no "obsolete", no "uncommon", ...
    Definitions of eyewash - OneLook Dictionary Search
    It gives me the feeling that I'm in a new universe that differs in one tiny detail from the one I remember living in yesterday.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    New to me too. From a science career (initially) involving lab work, we were all trained in the operation of eyewash stations (spraying clean water upwards), in case eyes were exposed to nasty chemicals.
    82DED106-8ECB-46E6-881F-3B00DD78468D.jpeg

Packard

USA, English
    I've never heard it either, but every dictionary lists it and none of them makes any remark other than "informal" or "slang", i.e. no "British", no "dated", no "obsolete", no "uncommon", ...
    Definitions of eyewash - OneLook Dictionary Search
    It gives me the feeling that I'm in a new universe that differs in one tiny detail from the one I remember living in yesterday.
    I checked all 12 dictionaries on the Memidex site and only Collins calls it "British English" and only Cambridge calls it "old fashioned informal".
    Eyewash definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
    eyewash in British English

(ˈaɪˌwɒʃ )

noun
    a mild solution for applying to the eyes for relief of irritation, etc
    2. informal
    nonsense; rubbish

And EYEWASH | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
    eyewash noun (NONSENSE)

[ U ]old-fashioned informal
    nonsense or something that is not true

glamorgan

English (UK)
    I associate the expression with gentlemanly detective novels of the 1930s - 1950s.

“Eyewash, my fathead. First-class, guaranteed-British eyewash. Put Paull into the box to tell that story, and a good counsel would laugh you out of court.”

Excerpt From
    Death-Watch (1935)
    John Dickson Carr
    This material may be protected by copyright.

< Previous | Next >