F.B.A stands for... (Bonnie Parker poem)

< Previous | Next >

Walter Amargo

Spanish, Catalan
Hello everyone.

After lonesome hours of endless internet searches, I haven't been able to find out what FBA stands for in "The Story of Suicide Sal", one of Bonnie Parker's poems. It may have something to do with banks, but I am not quite sure about it.

Sample:

I got on the F.B.A. payroll
to get the "inside lay" of the "job"

The bank was "turning big money!"

I would appreciate any guess, no matter whether educated or not!

Thanks

Walter

• Walter Amargo

Spanish, Catalan
    Thanks. Yes, that was my guess as well. But I need to know the acronym's exact meaning, since I'd like to translate the poem into Spanish.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Looks to me (guessing from the context) like it is the name of a particular bank, like First Bank of Alameda (or some other place that starts with A).

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you, cat! Nothing to do with fellows either way. It's a nineteen twentees' acronym... No clue by now.
    Hi, Walter. Back in the twenties there were many acronyms for different federal agencies, just as there are now. I'm sorry this one perplexes you. Given the context, your best bet is to assume that it means something like "Federal Bankers' Association". If you need to dig any deeper than that, you might get better answers from other forum members by providing a little more information about the person who wrote the poem. If this does indeed refer to the Bonnie Parker of "Bonnie and Clyde", then I can assure you that she wouldn't be writing about any fellowship in England. She was a Texan who lived a short, bloody life entirely within the US. Also, your decade would be wrong. She was writing poems and robbing banks in the thirties. Franklin Delano Roosevelt served his first term beginning in 1933. In 1934 Bonnie was killed. "FBA" will likely be an acronym for one of the agencies established by the Roosevelt Administration.

I hope this helps you.
    Having just seen Nunty's post, I can say that his guess may be right, also.

Walter Amargo

Spanish, Catalan
    Hi, Walter. Back in the twenties there were many acronyms for different federal agencies, just as there are now. I'm sorry this one perplexes you. Given the context, your best bet is to assume that it means something like "Federal Bankers' Association". If you need to dig any deeper than that, you might get better answers from other forum members by providing a little more information about the person who wrote the poem. If this does indeed refer to the Bonnie Parker of "Bonnie and Clyde", then I can assure you that she wouldn't be writing about any fellowship in England. She was a Texan who lived a short, bloody life entirely within the US. Also, your decade would be wrong. She was writing poems and robbing banks in the thirties. Franklin Delano Roosevelt served his first term beginning in 1933. In 1934 Bonnie was killed. "FBA" will likely be an acronym for one of the agencies established by the Roosevelt Administration.

I hope this helps you.
    Having just seen Nunty's post, I can say that his guess may be right, also.
    Looks to me (guessing from the context) like it is the name of a particular bank, like First Bank of Alameda (or some other place that starts with A).
    Thank you both, Nunty and Owlman. Shortlived Bonnie Parker, Clyde's so-called "little spouse". Yes, that's right. I got stuck in that bit, FBA. The B must stand for Bank, I agree with you both. No clue about what the F and the A may imply. Though I believe Nunty may be right. I'll keep on searching.

Thank you all.

Walter

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you both, Nunty and Owlman. Shortlived Bonnie Parker, Clyde's so-called "little spouse". Yes, that's right. I got stuck in that bit, FBA. The B must stand for Bank, I agree with you both. No clue about what the F and the A may imply. Though I believe Nunty may be right. I'll keep on searching.

Thank you all.

Walter
    You're welcome, Walter. If I were you, I'd begin searching for information about federal agencies and programs during the Roosevelt Administration.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    In my reading of the poem, it is very clear that she is talking about one particular bank, where "Sal" got a job so as to be on the spot for the robbery. I could, of course, be wrong, but this doesn't sound like any sort of larger association.

owlman5

English-US
    In my reading of the poem, it is very clear that she is talking about one particular bank, where "Sal" got a job so as to be on the spot for the robbery. I could, of course, be wrong, but this doesn't sound like any sort of larger association.
    I didn't read the poem, Nunty. I certainly trust your judgment though, so you're probably right. If so, Walter has his work cut out for him. He may have to go through a long list of possible banks to find the one that Parker's referring to.

Walter Amargo

Spanish, Catalan
    Yes, that's what I believe, though at first I was misled by the F, which sounded so much like federal. Anyway, I am going to bypass this for the moment and keep on translating the poem to the end.

Walter

Walter Amargo

Spanish, Catalan
    I didn't read the poem, Nunty. I certainly trust your judgment though, so you're probably right. If so, Walter has his work cut out for him. He may have to go through a long list of possible banks to find the one that Parker's referring to.
    Which I am not willing to do right now but I surely will some time today...

Salut!

SnowboundinNH

English
    Hello everyone.

After lonesome hours of endless internet searches, I haven't been able to find out what FBA stands for in "The Story of Suicide Sal", one of Bonnie Parker's poems. It may have something to do with banks, but I am not quite sure about it.

Sample:

I got on the F.B.A. payroll
    to get the "inside lay" of the "job"

The bank was "turning big money!"

I would appreciate any guess, no matter whether educated or not!

Thanks

Walter
    First Bank of the Americas was headquartered in Chicago. It was founded in 1901 so existed during Bonnie's time.

< Previous | Next >