f*ck/heck/hell

usnmagnusnmagn

Banned
German - Germany
Hi Everyone, regarding "what the [] are you talking about", which of the three words are more offend among f*ck/heck/hell? Is f*ck > hell > heck correct? Could you give more similar words? Thanks.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    "What on earth are you talking about?" is acceptable in all circumstances, even formal ones.
    Heck is acceptable in most informal circumstances.
    Hell is quite strong, suggesting anger.
    Fuck is the strongest, and is very offensive in all circumstances.

usnmagnusnmagn

Banned
    German - Germany
    "What on earth are you talking about?" is acceptable in all circumstances, even formal ones.
    Heck is acceptable in most informal circumstances.
    Hell is quite strong, suggesting anger.
    Fuck is the strongest, and is very offensive in all circumstances.
    So I can change your sentence as "Where on earth are you find it?" "How on earth do you achieve it" Am I correct?

Packard

USA, English
    The local needlepoint society meeting:

Margaret, what a lovely design; where on earth did you find the pattern?

Business meeting:

George, where the hell is that report I asked for last week! I better see it before this day's end!

New York City police detective:

Where the fuck is your partner; and you better not be fucking lying to use or you'll go down for obstruction.

A situation where to use "where the heck":

I cannot think of one except in old Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew pre-teen novels.

Rommey

Banned
    English UK
    I agree. Where the heck hasn't disappeared yet, and surprising as it may sound, is used quite a lot in some parts of England nowadays.

Rommey

Banned
    English UK
    If you mean it's used by people who use out of date terms, no, sorry, that isn't true.

I don't think I've ever heard dagnabbit in my life. Sounds like something from the Hobbit!:eek:

Packard

USA, English
    If you mean it's used by people who use out of date terms, no, sorry, that isn't true.

I don't think I've ever heard dagnabbit in my life. Sounds like something from the Hobbit!:eek:
    Actually by Elmer Fudd (from Bugs Bunny) who was also caught saying, "What in tarnation" as I recall (though I doubt that I could document that).

In truth I cannot recall the last time I heard the word "heck" except on some 1950s, 1960s, or 1970s TV sitcom. Certainly none of the people I speak to use the word at all.

< Previous | Next >