f/v sound - difficult for native Korean speakers?

Whodunit

Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
I am sorry my very first post is off-topic, but if the couple you mentioned in Lost are Sun and Jin Kwon, they are Koreans, not Japanese.
Haha, that might be the reason why I couldn't follow their words and the subtitles simultaneously. They simply didn't match. :D

By the way, I myself learned the IPA when I first learned English in middle school. Although I still have accents in my English pronunciation, learning the IPA (with all the crazy tongue pictures and vowel charts) helped a lot distinguishing different sounds. (Actually the system helped even more when I learned French in high school.)
To come back to the original topic: Do you think the English sounds [f] and [v] are difficult for native Korean speakers? They shouldn't be, because the sound [φ] doesn't exist in Korean.

• VirtuousV

Korean, (South) Korea
    /f/ and /v/ sound do not exist in Korean.

/f/ is usually represented with /p/ (sort of) sound in borrowed words, but sometimes /wh/ might be used (although not "official" way of transliterating), so "fantasy," for example, may be written as 판타지 (pan-ta-ji) or 환타지 (whan-ta-ji) in Korean. (Note that there is no /z/ sound either, so /j/ is used as a substitute.)

/v/ is represented with /b/ (again, sort of) sound. "Victory" will be written as 빅토리 (bik-to-ri). The English alphabet V is, however, is written as 브이 (beu-i) to prevent confusion with B, which is written as 비 (bi).

< Previous | Next >