fa rimpiangere i sapori di una volta

< Previous | Next >

skinnyjeans

English
Hi, can someone please help me translate the following sentence please:

'Tutto secondo le tradizioni piu’ consolidate d
ell’antica cucina toscana. Franco Paoli con il suo Coco Lezzone non fa rimpiangere i sapori di una volta:...'

I would be very grateful. It's a restaurant review for Coco Lezzone in Florence.

:confused:

• Lazzini

I would say it means something like:

Everything is true to the Tuscan culinary tradition. Franco Paoli's Coco Lezzone leaves no-one missing the flavours of the past.

I've little doubt that the phrasing could be improved for a restaurant review.

neuromatico

English (Canadian)
    I would say "...leaves no one/won't leave you longing for the flavors of the past".

Skinnyjeans, remember that WRF isn't a translation service.
    Next time, please provide your translation attempt. It would be more than welcome. :)

joanvillafane

U.S. English

NEW QUESTION

Hi everybody - I learned that "rimpiangere" has the meaning shown in the discussion above - to miss, long for, think of with nostalgia, etc. But today I had to check it in the dictionary (to be sure I understood a text I was reading) and I was surprised to find that the WR dictionary gives a definition of "regret." Is that correct? http://www.wordreference.com/iten/rimpiangere

So I'm just checking with you about how to read this sentence. In this context, I think it means "miss."
    context: an email from a family member, discussing the recent confrontation between police and union demonstrators in Rome.
    tutto questo mi fa rimpiangere il periodo degli anni settanta.

CPA

British English/Italian - bilingual
    It's hard to say, Joanne. There was a fair amount of terrorism in the seventies, with bombings and shootings in the streets. Would anyone miss that? There again, we were all a lot younger and probably more carefree. ;)

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi CPA and thanks for responding - I think you see exactly why I was confused by this statement. If you're willing to explore this a bit further, maybe some more context will help.
    He wrote quite a bit about the demonstrators (it's quite a long rant) and it was pretty clear that he sympathized with them and was very critical of the police response. So I thought it meant something like - If I were 40 years younger, I'd be out there in the streets with them. ;)

Here's the preceding sentence: Come sicuramente avrai letto le vicende di queste ultime ore dove tutti si riempiono la bocca di Democrazia e uguaglianza di diritti chi cerca di farli valere viene attaccato dalla polizia e bastonato senza alcun motivo,tutto questo mi fa rimpiangere il periodo degli anni settanta.

CPA

British English/Italian - bilingual
    I hesitate to say this, but maybe he does miss the good old days of bombings and shootings, tear gas and lobbing sampietrini. I assume he was a highly politicised sessantottino.

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Well, I know he was involved in a labor union in those days. We are catching up on a lifetime of history and we are both pretty cautious about asking too many questions, so that's why I needed some help in interpreting this. Thanks for your input.

< Previous | Next >