fabric of the Cathedral

clavie

Canada - french
Would anyone know what this is about? and how would you translate that in french?

In the text : ....Fabric Advisory Committee, which must approve any alterations to the fabric of the cathedral

Thanks to you!

• valerie

France, French & Spanish
    According to my diccionary, fabric means also: structure, in: the fabric of a building, of society, of a system
    Another example of it is: the social fabric of our country, translated by: le tissu social de notre pays, and meaning la structure sociale...

Focalist

European Union, English
    clavie said:
    Would anyone know what this is about? and how would you translate that in french?

In the text : ....Fabric Advisory Committee, which must approve any alterations to the fabric of the cathedral

Thanks to you!
    French cathedrals usually have a Conseil de fabrique de la cathédrale which deals with building works and repairs, etc., so I imagine that fabric (= structure) can be directly translated by fabrique.

F

valerie

France, French & Spanish
    fabric means stone in that case? I had no idea, actually I only knew fabric means 'tissu'
    thanks

Focalist

European Union, English
    I hope I didn't go too far in equating "fabric" and "fabrique" in my previous posting. "Fabric" is still widely used in English "the fabric of the building" (the walls, the floors, etc), while I think that "fabrique" in French is more restricted to historical and ecclesiastical contexts and is, besides, much more closely connected to building (gerund) than building (noun):

I. Construction. 1. Anciennt. Action de construire. Se disait surtout d'un édifice religieux. La fabrique d'une chapelle. Par ext. Entretien et réparation d'une église. [Dic. Académie 9e éd.]
    Il se dit encore, en parlant d'une Église paroissiale, de l'Entretien et de la réparation de l'édifice. Conseil de fabrique. Le conseil de fabrique s'occupe de tout ce qui concerne le mobilier, l'éclairage, etc., de l'église. [Dic. Académie 8e éd.]

F