fabulous, fantastic (colleagues)--in *formal* document

< Previous | Next >

volt

English -US
I feel it's not so proper to say "my fabulous colleagues" or "my fantastic colleagues" in a very formal document such as a job evaluation. What would be a better word? It needs to convey a good collaboration and especially gratitude, but in a subtle and implicit way, so that only those to whom you are grateful could feel your gratitude for something particular.

• suzi br

English / England
    Dedicated? Hard-working? Supportive? We're not allowed to compilie lists, but really you need to chose a quality that they have displayed and use it as an adjective, I think!

Egmont

English - U.S.
    One approach might be to look for more specific terms than "fabulous" and "fantastic." Those words don't say anything about what makes them fabulous or fantastic. Is it that they are supportive? Patient? Creative? Fun to be with? Whatever the factor is, or whatever the factors are, specific is always better than generic in contexts like this.

volt

English -US
    The meaning of fabulous or fantastic will be ok in this context. The reason that I don't think they are appropriate is that these two words seem to be very informal, especially "fantastic". People often say, in oral conversation, "You are fantastic! you are great!" But it seems too informal to me. Is "fabulous" good for use in a formal, serious document?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    If you are a gay male fashion designer, it will sound entirely natural to refer to your colleagues that way.

If you are a bank executive, or a physician, or a stock broker, it will sound as if for some strange and unknown reason you are talking like a gay male fashion designer.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    You're right: "fabulous" and "fantastic" are poor choices for a job evaluation. I agree with Egmont (post #4) that you should choose a specific adjective or two that will expressly characterize these particular people—as Egmont says, perhaps something like cooperative or creative or whatever qualit(y)(ies) it is that makes them so great. If you feel you must use a more general word, it should be something more formal, along the lines of valuable, distinguished, etc. You might check a thesaurus.

volt

English -US
    Thanks for the suggestion. I think "valuable" is a good word here. (Thanks for being a valuable poster :))

< Previous | Next >