facciamo incontrare

EllariaSand

Italian, Italy
Hey, I'm a new user here...I needed some help to know if hte translation I made of the italian sentence "Ne facciamo incontrare un milione ogni giorno" can be "Making over a million people to meet everyday" ...I just have doubts about this making to meet form.

• lsp

NY
    US, English
    Welcome to WR, EllariaSand :)!

"Making to meet" should be "making ... people meet (without "to")", but the word make is not a good choice here, it sounds more like costringere than fare. Can you give more context?

EllariaSand

Italian, Italy
    There's actually no more context, it's an ad wallpaper of a transport company....it's like that thank to this company people can meet! how would you say?

Citrinette

Canadian, English
    Maybe "helping over a million people meet every day"

Or

"Over one million people meet every day thanks to us"
    (Which may sound somewhat conceited though)

Arcadia33

English - US
    Welcome to WR, EllariaSand :)!

"Making to meet" should be "making ... people meet (without "to")", but the word make is not a good choice here, it sounds more like costringere than fare. Can you give more context?
    Joining/connecting might be used in the context of "facciamo incontrare". I would expect to hear something like: "Helping to bring millions of people together every day".

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    That is too bad -- "making over a million people meet every day" sounds strange, and a little rude. To "make" someone do something is to compel him to do it, or to force him to do it, whether he is willing or not:

His mother makes Johnny take piano lessons, but he hates them.

I would not like any company that "made me" meet people!

malva7

Italy - Italian
    Sorry but...

"Connecting people" was the world slogan of a famous finnish mobile phone manufacturer.

< Previous | Next >