face or faces

< Previous | Next >

nomnom27

Castellano
I've been wondering which of the following sentence is correct.

1. I love seeing the smiling faces of everyone here.
2. I love seeing the smiling face of everyone here.

I don't know if face should be plural or in this context? To be honest they both look the okay to me, but if I had to choose I would choose No.1.

• Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    As stated, either would be fine; but I'd also pick #1. Multiple people = multiple faces. One could argue, however, that of all the individuals named, each has a separate face.

Loob

English UK
    If it were possesive than it would be "I love seeing everyone's smiling face" not "...everyone's smiling faces" or I'm I wrong?
    I could say either in that context too - I love seeing everyone's smiling faces or face.

(In fact, in most contexts I can think of, I suspect I'd be more likely to use the plural.)

Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    I could say either in that context too - I love seeing everyone's smiling faces or face.

(In fact, in most contexts I can think of, I suspect I'd be more likely to use the plural.)
    I originally started to write the very same thing, but then I asked myself one question. Does this sound more like each person has more than one face? I'd say yes. I think that either could work, but the possessive/plural sounds a bit awkward to me.

Last edited:

icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    I agree with Loob; either the singular or the plural works. I see where Filsmith is coming from and it's probably just me, but the singular face made me think of a certain scene in Being John Malkovich in which everyone has the same face, so I think I prefer faces. :p

nomnom27

Castellano
    It seem that's it's more of a matter of preference than being right or wrong. I personally would use "face" for the possessive.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >