face to face

Rosalie Troha

USA, English
"We met face to face to discuss the magazine article."

My question is whether face to face implies one person meeting one other person, or can it mean more than two people are involved in the meeting?

• leenico

U.S.A. english
    "We met face to face to discuss the magazine article."

My question is whether face to face implies one person meeting one other person, or can it mean more than two people are involved in the meeting?
    Usually it is two people meeting face to face, but there is no reason that it cannot mean more than two. "We are having a meeting so we can all meet face to face." Implying more than two. ;)

Rosalie Troha

USA, English
    I don't agree that "face-to-face" can mean a group of people. If it was more than two people meeting, it seems to me the correct term would be "face-to-faces" or "faces-to-faces".

garryknight

UK, English
    I've been in lots of meetings and the expression 'face-to-face' has been used quite a bit in this context. I've never heard 'faces-to-faces' but it might be a difference betwen the US and UK cultures.

te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hello All;
    Face to face is used to describe a group setting as well...
    I agree with garryknight..I have never seen Faces...
    te gato;)

Rosalie Troha

USA, English
    The "faces" thing was a joke. The point is that the word "face" in a singular noun, which to me means that "face to face" means the same as "one on one" and cannot possibly mean a group is involved.