faced off against the Germans and their allies across complex, well-fortified trench systems

Irelia20150604

Chinese
Hi everyone! I don't quite understand the sentence " the French, British and their allies faced off against the Germans and their allies across complex, well-fortified trench systems". I interpret it as the image below. Is it right?

the context is as follows:
===
August 1915 on the Western Front: the French, British and their allies faced off against the Germans and their allies across complex, well-fortified trench systems. In the age of flight, though, airplanes and balloons were used by both sides to see over the thickets of barbed wire and camouflage to see enemy troop movements and find targets for artillery fire. Balloons were less mobile but could be linked by telephone directly with gun emplacements.

source: http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/anecdotes-from-the-archive/eyes-in-the-sky-1915/

My interpretation:
0831.png

• Copyright

American English
    Yes, you're right ... and you're a good artist (although they do look a little like golf greens). :D

And it's a "trench system," not "entrench." You might like to check a dictionary for those. :)

< Previous | Next >