facing the needle / the case was a dog

sutasore

korean
I read the novel "the lincoln lawyer" by Michael Connelly.
p 232,
"His exposure. He was facing the needle, man, and the case was a dog.
I did'nt work it because there was nothing to work."
I don't understand the meaning of "needle" and "dog"
What is the meaning?
Thanks for answer.

• owlman5

English-US
    Hi, sutasore.

"He was facing the needle" = He was facing the death penalty. If the defendant was found guilty, he could be punished with a death sentence. The most common method of execution in the U.S. is execution by lethal injection. People are executed by injecting them with lethal drugs. For this reason, people often use "the needle" as a way of saying "the death penalty."

"The case was a dog" = This was a difficult or unattractive case for a lawyer. Maybe the defendant was unlikeable. Maybe there was some other reason for lawyers to avoid this case.

Last edited:

sutasore

korean
    Thank you very much.
    I am a lawyer who lives in Seoul, Korea.
    You seem to be a lawyer or someone like that.

NLmarkSE

Dutch (the Nederlands)
    Hi, sutasore.

"He was facing the needle" = He was facing the death penalty. If the defendant was found guilty, he could be punished with a death sentence. The most common method of execution in the U.S. is execution by lethal injection. People are executed by injecting them with lethal drugs. For this reason, people often use "the needle" as a way of saying "the death penalty."

"The case was a dog" = This was a difficult or unattractive case for a lawyer. Maybe the defendant was unlikeable. Maybe there was some other reason for lawyers to avoid this case.
    Very interesting. I know about "facing the needle," but I've never hear about a "dog case" before. Is this common lawyer jargon? Can it be used in other cases as well?

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    Very interesting. I know about "facing the needle," but I've never hear about a "dog case" before. Is this common lawyer jargon? Can it be used in other cases as well?
    I think something being "a dog" is sort of generic for something being difficult or just bad.

owlman5

English-US
    Thank you very much.
    I am a lawyer who lives in Seoul, Korea.
    You seem to be a lawyer or someone like that.
    You're welcome, sutasore. I'm sure not a lawyer. These terms are pretty widely known, and I've been alive for over fifty years. :)

< Previous | Next >