Facultad de Filosofía y Letras

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Eugens, May 4, 2006.

  1. Eugens

    Eugens Senior Member

    Argentina Spanish

    My dictionary translates "Facultad de Filosofía y Letras" as "Arts Faculty" or "Faculty of Arts"... is that translation correct?

    If I want to say "Laboratorio de Idiomas de la Facultad de Filosofía y Letras", is it correct to translate it as "Laboratory of Languages of the Arts Faculty"?

  2. COLsass

    COLsass Senior Member

    It depends on your audience. I think maybe in Britain they use "Faculty" in this way but in my experiences in the US we prefer "School/Department." The problem is that we organize them differently so we would have:

    Dept./School of Arts and Sciences
    School of Business
    School of Design
    School of Agriculture. etc.

    Humanities Language Lab would probably suffice.

    Department is for smaller sections within a School/Faculty.
  3. Eugens

    Eugens Senior Member

    Argentina Spanish
    Muchas gracias!:)
    I think I won't translate the name of the faculty/school/department, however. I will just leave it in Spanish. If I change its name too much, people won't know of which one I'm talking about!
  4. palomica

    palomica Senior Member

    New York City
    English, USA
    Dear Eugins,
    ¡Qué casualidad! Yo estudié en el Instituto de Idiomas de la Facultad de Filosofía y Letras de la Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Y yo diría, sin cambiarlo demasiado: The Language Lab of the School of Philosophy and Letters. (No es School of Arts.) Aunque también se podría decir School of Humanities.
  5. Txiri

    Txiri Senior Member

    USA English
    I understand Facultad as College.

    College of Arts and Sciences
    College of Law
    College of Education

    It might be advisable to have a look at how universities are organized in the country in which your translation is going to be used.
  6. Eugens

    Eugens Senior Member

    Argentina Spanish
    Thank you all very much. You have been all very kind.:) Now I think I understand better the difference between faculty/school/department/college.
    I have been lucky to come across the official tourist website of my city, and I've found that they have translated it there as the School of Philosophy and Letters (look here under "stages of the trip"). In other websites, I found that the institution itself uses that translation. So, that's the one I'll use myself.:)
  7. Amynka

    Amynka Senior Member

    Bulgaria/ Bulgarian
    Eugens, I find a little difference between School Of Philosophy and Letters and Faculty of Philosophy and Arts. I think we could say Faculty, if the building itself is not separated from the main University campus. In this case, even it could be considered as Department. For instance the faculties of UAM (Madrid). But if I think of the UCM campus (for example), I perfectly agree with the word "schools" to call their "major departments" (sería algo como "academias" o "escuelas profesionales/de especialidad/de oficios"). Actually, there is a Translation Studies "Faculty" in Aranjuez, far away from the main campus. In this case, I could defined it as a School of Translation Studies. Well, this is my opinion... :)
  8. Senordineroman

    Senordineroman Senior Member

    Chicago, IL USA
    USA English - Midwest
    Pero que es "letras"? "Letters"? Que es "letters"?
  9. COLsass

    COLsass Senior Member

    I majored in letters. It's a term widely-used in Europe and in British English. ("He's a man of letters").

    My B.A. is in College of Letters. :)
  10. Senordineroman

    Senordineroman Senior Member

    Chicago, IL USA
    USA English - Midwest
    So.... que estudias en "Letters"?

    Como es que soy estudiante de maestria y no conozco este termino?

    Ok, DON'T answer that Q!
  11. Lis48

    Lis48 Senior Member

    York, England
    English - British
    With all due respect, not in BE. In England we don´t use the word "majored" and "letters" is not a subject anyone studies at university. "A man of letters" is just a very old fashioned term for an intellectual person and dates from a time when very few people could read so a man of letters was an educated man who knew his alphabet. "My B.A. is in College of Letters" would make no sense whatsoever to me.
  12. labruixabonica New Member

    Hello !
    I think it sound better Faculty of Humanities.
  13. "Licenciado en Filosofía y Letras":

    Degree in Philosophy and Letters
    Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy and Letters
    Licentiate in Philosophy and Letters

    It depends on the faculty, school or department, and the country and region.


    José Manuel Rosón Bravo
  14. Senordineroman

    Senordineroman Senior Member

    Chicago, IL USA
    USA English - Midwest
    Ok, Jose - that's nice, it's just I've never heard of "letters" here in the U.S., so I am trying to find the American equivalent, if there is one.
  15. COLsass

    COLsass Senior Member

    Letters acoording to m-w.com

    3plural but sing or plural in constr a: literature , belles lettres b: learning

    Estudios de Filosofia y Letras

    Philosophy and literature/letters.

    Once again, it is uncommon, but I majored in Letters, so it's certainly more than possible: http://www.wesleyan.edu/col/
  16. Hi again,











    In any case, I must agree with ChrisCashman – and with ColSass as well – in saying that “Philosophy and Letters” is uncommon in USA.

    Well, in fact I am in Spain, in this European context, you know. English is so diversified and there are so many translations and adaptations between expressions and ideas.

    If you seek for the English versions of web pages of faculties and universities in Spain, South America and some European Countries, you’ll find “Philosophy and Letters”.

    However, I think that “Philosophy and Literature” would be the right expression in USA.

    In fact I am not completely sure right now. I got confused, which I think is interesting in terms of a more detailed approach to this subject.


    José Manuel Rosón Bravo
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  17. Senordineroman

    Senordineroman Senior Member

    Chicago, IL USA
    USA English - Midwest
    No problem, Jose. Of COURSE ideas vary from one country to the other. "Letters" is very uncommon in the U.S.

    Y es más, en la mayoría de los casos – bueno, por lo menos los que conozco – la filosofía y la literatura vienen siendo dos ramas distintas también. O uno estudia la literatura, o estudia la filosofía – rara vez que una misma persona estudie las dos, a menos que se haga lo que es cada vez más común aquí – “double major”.

    Pero tiene sentido que los que estudian la literatura están especializándose, en efecto, en alguna especie de filosofía, ¿no?, ya que la literatura es un reflejo de la filosofía de una cultura….

    Ok, I’m terminado.

  18. Sí.

    En fin, "Letras" se refiere a una combinación de cosas para referirse a lo fuera de las ciencias exactas, naturales y técnicas.

    Por supuesto no es Literatura, ya que ésta es una parte muy específica y un campo de estudio singular.

    Lo voy a mirar bien, para no quedar con la duda.

    Como dijo aquél: "Volveré".

    Un saludo,

    José Manuel Rosón Bravo
  19. palomica

    palomica Senior Member

    New York City
    English, USA
    As a second-generation U.S. academic, I will try to clarify this further. I have studied at the Facultad de Filosofía y Letras of the Complutense in Madrid, and studied/taught at a number of universities in California and New York.

    This does not refer to a group of buildings, a group of professors, or an individual department. That is why we call it a 'School', or in some places a 'College'. The School of Philosophy and Letters could also be called the School of Humanities. It is one of the principal divisions of a university. There may also be a School of Business, a School of Social Sciences, a School of Music (or Arts and Music), and a School of Math and Sciences. There are slight differences in the way things are named and classified from university to university. In some universities, a person might major in Letters, or Humanities, or Sciences, but in most cases — at least in the U.S. — the degree will be in one of the disciplines within the school. For example, I have degrees in Linguistics and in European Studies, both of which could be part of the School of Philosophy and Letters.

    I hope this helps.
  20. Senordineroman

    Senordineroman Senior Member

    Chicago, IL USA
    USA English - Midwest
    Ok, that makes sense. Alright, I'll go with "humanities" then.

Share This Page