Fagocitar

Naty_acuna

Spanish
Hi everyone! I was wondering what the English word for "fagocitar" is. In Spanish, business language, it means to acquire a small company in order to make it disappear so that you have fewer competitors in the market.
Thanks!

• albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
    Hi everyone! I was wondering what the English word for "fagocitar" is. In Spanish, business language, it means to acquire a small company in order to make it disappear so that you have fewer competitors in the market.
    Thanks!

In business terms I would use "cannibalize"

Last edited by a moderator:

albertovidal

Spanish, Argentina
    I would not use cannibalize. In my opinion, “Absorb” would be a better word and not turn as many heads in confusion or surprise.
    Sorry to disagree with you.
    If a company "absorbs" another, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will make the "absorbed company" disappear to have fewer competitors.
    You can absorb a company to make yours more competitive joining means and strategies.

Joe Esquire

Spanish Spain- English US
    All the foregoing translations approximate the cell biology nature of the word, however even in a metaphorical sense, ‘fagocitar” is not a business term of any general acceptance in relation to the acquisition and absorption of a competitor‘s business. “Fagocitar” means to capture and digest, as the complete destruction of the thing taken. No company absorbs a competitor for the sole purpose of destroying it. It incorporates the thing/assets acquired to its own use.

The use as such, originated by a Spanish blogger, does not, by itself, create a new applied meaning for the word; and certainly not a generally accepted meaning.

je