<Failure> Vs <Defeat> for a new product

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
Hello everyone

Please imagine the top-managers of a manufacturing company are brainstorming over a new product to make a decision whether they should produce and lunch it to the market or not. A present individual at the meeting who is working as a market analyzer wants to say that it is not a proper time or this os not a reasonable product to be manufactured (at least for the current market.) Otherwise, they will end up experiencing a not desirable outcome.
I wonder which one of the options below work properly within my example:

- The possibility of ................. for the new product is very high. I think we'd better take our time for some raw materials decrease in price. Then even if the market demands drop for this specific item or even the inflation decreases or increases, we won't sustain any considerable loss.

a. failure
b. defeat

• lingobingo

English - England
    Defeat is not appropriate to this context. Failure makes sense on its own — failure as opposed to success. But defeat specifically means being beaten by something or someone else in a contest between two or more.

Uncle Jack

British English
    Although "The possibility of failure for the new product is very high" is something that might be said in the situation you describe, it should be clear in your mind (even if it might not be in the speaker's) that it isn't the product that will fail. A product failing is something altogether different, suggesting some sort of defect. What will fail is the project to create a new product, sell it and make a profit from it. It is the selling and making a profit part that is being predicted to fail, not the product itself.

The easiest way to avoid any possible misunderstanding would be to add "launch" after "product".

< Previous | Next >