faint breeze

< Previous | Next >

puputeh24

Chinese, Cantonese
Source :
[eastoftheweb short stories, Return to Paradise: Eliza Riley]

Lisa gazed out over the Caribbean Sea, feeling the faint breeze against her face - eyes shut, the white sand warm between her bare toes. The place was beautiful beyond belief, but it was still unable to ease the grief she felt as she remembered the last time she had been here.

May I ask what does faint breeze mean? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Binkadin

English.
    I believe that it implies that the "breeze," or wind is quite gentle. Breeze is defined as "a gentle wind." A faint breeze would suggest that the wind was very gentle and was relaxing.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    breeze a wind or current of air, esp. a light one: A gentle breeze blew through the curtains
    faint lacking brightness, vividness, clearness, loudness, strength, etc.: a faint voice
    Is there something in the definitions of the words which is causing you problems ?

Last edited:

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    The Beaufort Scale has a "light breeze" at position no. 2, 1.5–3.3 m/sec. Position no. 1 on the scale is officially called a "light air" but might equate to a "faint breeze." That would be 0.3–1.5 m/sec., the lowest wind speed at which drifting smoke indicates the wind direction, perhaps the lowest that would register on most wind vanes. Of course, the character did not have an anemometer, and if the writer had consulted the Beaufort scale she would have used one of its terms. But a "faint breeze" would be the lowest wind speed that a human could detect, by its very faint cooling effect, the motion of the air on her skin, or the very slight movement of the lightest of fabrics.

puputeh24

Chinese, Cantonese
    I'm thankful for everyone to answer my question. It's very useful for a foreigner, like me. Pls keep helping us to answer.

< Previous | Next >