faire contre mauvaise fortune bon cœur

fandenickylarson

français
salut, je cherche l'expression en anglais pour dire 'faire contre mauvaise fortune, bon coeur'
est-ce que 'To keep a stiff upper li' pourrait marcher?

S’ils peuvent au mieux accepter, contre mauvaise fortune bon cœur, que des milliers de Baltes furent massacrés et déportés en Sibérie (après tout des milliers de Russes aussi furent victimes des exactions soviétiques), ils refusent une autre vision de l’histoire or

If for the better they can accept, 'keeping a stiff upper lip', that thousands of Baltic people have been slaughered and deported in Sibera... they refuse another vision of history....

• qwill

I have found "put a good face on it"... out of Google search. For instance :"If, for the better, they could put a good face on the slaughter and the deportation of thousands of Baltes in Siberia, they refuse... etc...But, still, how can one put a "good face" at such things... There is probably a better translation...

dewsy

England, english
    To make the best of a bad job, if they can accept at least that thousands of Baltics were slaughtered and deported to Siberia.....

Not perfect, but better....

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    For "ils font contre mauvaise fortune bon cœur" my dictionary (Collins Robert) gives "they're trying to put a good face on it".

Also, it gives the expression, "to put a bold/brave face on things" which it renders as "faire bonne contenance".

I think in your context "a stiff upper lip" is good, but I myself would prefer "to put a brave face on things".

(As a matter of interest, this expression "keep a stiff upper lip" (which in the Astérix series was translated delightfully as "gardez votre lèvre supérieure rigide") is always regarded as a typically English expression. Yet I've read that it's actually American in origin.)

< Previous | Next >