faire de la lutte / du judo

desperatelearner

french
Hi,

I don't know if I can use the verb "do" with an activity (like wrestling / judo/dancing)
to say that I practise on a regular basis or on a particular occasion
ex:
I do judo on Mondays
Yesterday I did wrestling for the first time.
is that correct?

Thanks for your answers.

• Kelly B

USA English
    Frequently yes. See also Pratiquer un sport

I do judo is fine.

For wrestling in particular, though, it sounds weird to me, and I don't know why. There's nothing wrong with it grammatically, it just doesn't sound idiomatic, at least not in US English. I'd probably try to rephrase:
    I tried wrestling yesterday.
    I wrestled for the first time yesterday.
    I went to wrestling practice/class for the first time.

DrD

England English
    I agree for UK English too. I'm not sure why I wouldn't say 'do wrestling', but I wouldn't. Maybe because 'wrestle' is a verb, so the 'do' seems rather redundant.

I agree with Kelly B's suggestions too.

Maîtreaupôle

anglais "Canada"
    Very strange! I can hear "did judo" or something like "did archery" (they sound more or less okay), but not "did hockey/baseball/soccer". The latter seem even stranger to me than "did dancing" or "did wrestling", though the latter, too, strike me as unidiomatic. I think the thing to do, just to be safe, would be to avoid "to do" with respect to a sport in favor of, for example, "to try dancing/wrestling/judo/archery" and "to play/try hockey/baseball/soccer" for the first time.

In Absentia

UK English
    Very strange! I can hear "did judo" or something like "did archery" (they sound more or less okay), but not "did hockey/baseball/soccer".
    That's probably because hockey/baseball/soccer are team sports so you don't do them all by yourself you play them with your team. So as a general rule don't use to do with a team sport, use to play.

< Previous | Next >