faire face à un échec

SandAndWater

France Français
Hi everyone!!
How would you say : faire face à un échec?
Would you use the verb "to face", like to face one's responsibilities?
Thanks for you answers!

• Xavier11222

France French
    Bonjour!
    Oui, c'est une bonne option - to face failure.
    Ce qui veut dire en anglais les mêmes choses qu'en français - se trouver face à et savoir faire face à.

akaAJ

American English, Yiddish
    "to face failure" means that a failure is a highly probable outcome: this misbegotten plan faces failure. I think the thread phrase means: to confront or face up to the fact of failure, and (presumably) take steps to go beyond it.

"to face failure" means that a failure is a highly probable outcome: this misbegotten plan faces failure. I think the thread phrase means: to confront or face up to the fact of failure, and (presumably) take steps to go beyond it.
    U see, it's very important on the life when we know what we miss,
    what we want and what we want to reach.

Now i think that u will try ur best in order to confront ur destiny and don't think about failure.

akaAJ

Welcome to the Forum, tantancool. I guess your post means you agree with my interpretation (it's more than a bit sybilline). You have read rule #2, but not the one about not using texting shortcuts. I am taking the liberty of transcribing your post into idiomatic English: "You see, it's very important in life to know what we are missing (or, with a somewhat different nuance, what we are lacking), what we want and what we want to reach (this is redundant unless you mean "what our goals are")." I think that you will try your best to confront your destiny and not think about failure."

Last edited:

Lizoo

Canada / English
    Bonjour!
    Oui, c'est une bonne option - to face failure.
    Ce qui veut dire en anglais les mêmes choses qu'en français - se trouver face à et savoir faire face à.
    J'aurais tendance à utiliser "cope with failure" pour exprimer l'idée de "savoir faire face à l'échec".

akaAJ

"Cope with failure" expresses one aspect of it. "Own up to failure" means "To confess to failure", "To accept responsibility for failure"; it's not really the same thing. "To face failure", as I said before, is a simple assessment of the high probability of failure, not at all the the same thing.

Keep trying, tantacool, you're braver than I am, and practice will ultimately make perfect, but I can't make sense of your last sentence (it sounds translated word for word from the French, but with too many options). I hope that "ur" (ur best, ur opinion) and "u" (u see, u will try), are errors, and not text/twitter shortcuts, which are not acceptable on WR forum (a potential linguistic/lexicological archive).

< Previous | Next >