faire face symétriquement

Angela Thomas

English -- USA
Hi everyone!
I'm having trouble translating and understanding the phrase in the following context:
DOC: French version of Maspero's Guide to the Cairo Museum 1902
CONTEXT: Le dernier cercueil de cette série est celui de Péténisis qui fut découvert à Sakkarah en 1902, dans les fouilles exécutées autour de la pyramide d'Ounas. Il est en basalte gris, long de 2 m. 60 cent., et il a le même type que celui de Zannéhibou auquel il fait face symétriquement.
MY ATTEMPT: It is of grey basalt 2 m. 60 cent. in length and of the same type as that belonging to Zannehibu which is symmetrically opposite to it/positioned symmetrically opposite it/which faces it like a mirror image.
The two coffins must be facing each other on opposite sides of the wall or gallery, but what does "symmetrically" add to it? Does it refer to being "directly" opposite or opposite "like a mirror image"? Does it have any special meaning in French other than "symmetrically" as in English?
Thanks in advance,
Angela

• Itisi

English UK/French
    I understand that the coffins are aligned, with their feet towards each other. Could you say, 'their are across from each other'?

Symétrique(ment) doesn't have any other special meaning, different from the English.

Angela Thomas

English -- USA
    Hi Itisi,
    Do you think this is specific enough per your understanding?
    Directly across from it is a grey basalt coffin of the same type as that belonging to Zannehibu; it measures 2 m. 60 cent. in length.
    as I'm not too crazy about this one:
    It is of grey basalt 2 m. 60 cent. in length and of the same type as that belonging to Zannehibu; this and the coffin of Péténisis are across from each other.
    Thanks very much,
    Angela

< Previous | Next >