faire la différence

Lolinette

France
How would you say "faire la différence" in English please, by using the word " to draw" (I have to employ it in a exercise)?

Thanks to you.
Lolinette.

• bloomiegirl

US English
    Is there a complete French sentence for context?:confused:
    And/or what have you got for the English, including all the required parts?

Lolinette

France
    The sentence is:
    C'est difficile de faire la différence entre la lecture des journaux à but récréatif et la lecture des journaux à but instructif.

Cya.

geostan

English Canada
    The example is a strange one to use with "to draw." I suppose the suggestion of "draw a distinction between" is as good as any. But personally, I would never use draw in an example like that.

Cheers!

bloomiegirl

US English
    How about: It's difficult to draw the line between reading newspapers for pleasure and reading newspapers for knowledge???

Does this work better than to draw a distinction between? Same idea, but perhaps semantically more popular?;)

P.S. to Geostan and Verbivore: As I understand it, Lolinette is required to use the verb to draw in the English sentence. Otherwise, I too would have suggested distinguish.;)

david314

American English
    How about: It's difficult to draw the line between reading newspapers for pleasure and reading newspapers for knowledge???

Does this work better than to draw a distinction between? Same idea, but perhaps semantically more popular? ;)
    In my opinion, it does not -and I would stick with: to draw/make a distinction between x & y :)

Last edited:

hamlet

Français (FR)
    Can you make a difference between two things (i.e. "It is important to make a difference (=distinguish) between shame and guilt.")

moustic

British English
    Can you make a difference between two things (i.e. "It is important to make a difference (=distinguish) between shame and guilt.")
    Can you give us your sentence in French, please?

The expression "make a difference" exists in English with the meaning "changer qqch" -> It doesn't make any difference. = Ça ne change rien.

hamlet

Français (FR)
    I don't mean "make a difference" in that sense, but as a synonym to "make a distinction" or "to differentiate". I didn't have any specific French sentence in mind.

moustic

British English
    I wouldn't use "make a difference" with the meaning "make a distinction".
    Maybe:
    It's important to point out (or even emphasize / highlight) the difference between X and Y.

hamlet

Français (FR)
    The American Heritage Dictionary has this entry:

make a difference
    1. Distinguish or discriminate. This phrase appears in the Bible (Leviticus 11:47): "To make a difference between the unclean and the clean." [Late 1500s]

Should it be regarded as a one-off?

< Previous | Next >