Faire la fête à quelqu'un

vegangirl

Banned
France french
J'ai traduit cette phrase en anglais. Vous pouvez corriger les fautes s'il vous plaît ?

phrase : Jesse va faire sa fête à Shelby.
traduction : Jesse is going to kick Shelby.

• Gael9

French from France
    I really heard the expression of "someone's bashing" to describe the fact people gave her a hard time ; so that would have the same meaning than "faire la fête à qqn" - which doesn't necessarily imply hittting, it really just mean giving a hard time, eather physically or verbally, etc...

Example : "yesterday, the debate turned to be Hillary's bashing" is something I read in the newspaper not a log time ago, as a recent and topical example !

harbottle

Australia; English
    Jesse is going to get stuck into Shelby? Could mean literally hitting or just giving her a hard time, depending on context...

harbottle

Australia; English
    It is a very useful expression in Australia. You can also get stuck into your food or into a task :) like I said, it could mean getting stuck into them with your fists, or verbally, depending on the context

watergirl

English, U.S.A.
    I really heard the expression of "someone's bashing" to describe the fact people gave her a hard time ; so that would have the same meaning than "faire la fête à qqn" - which doesn't necessarily imply hittting, it really just mean giving a hard time, eather physically or verbally, etc...

Example : "yesterday, the debate turned to be Hillary's bashing" is something I read in the newspaper not a log time ago, as a recent and topical example !
    Hey Gael,
    "To bash someone" (note the word order) is indeed a very commonly used expression meaning "to denigrate someone". In your quote there are some typos: "Hillary bashing" (no apostrophe s) or Hillary-bashing. Also, "turned to be..." is not quite right either. (Just so you know...)

Gael9

French from France
    Hey Gael,
    "To bash someone" (note the word order) is indeed a very commonly used expression meaning "to denigrate someone". In your quote there are some typos: "Hillary bashing" (no apostrophe s) or Hillary-bashing. Also, "turned to be..." is not quite right either. (Just so you know...)

Ok, thanks for correcting. I suppose the correct quote (I wrote it offhand, as I remembered) was "turned out to be a Hillary bashing"

By the way, for my fellow frenchmen who don't necessarily know it, a bash = a party, so that's why I think this translation was relevant;)

Gael

< Previous | Next >