faire le pont (gymnastique)

  • Kelly B

    USA English
    In yoga, "bridge posture" or "bridge pose".
    At a gym class, you could simply call it "bridging".
    :thumbsup: To get there from a standing position, you can do a backbend (tilt your head back, arch your back, put your hands on the floor.)


    Senior Member
    England English
    Having done some research on this recently, the position seems to officially be called "bridge" in gymnastics. However, I think "crab" is what most people (non-gymnasts) would recognise. That's definitely what it was always called when I was at school. Lots of girls used to do them in the playground (I could never manage it...). In fact, this meaning of "pont" is in the WR dictionary: http://www.wordreference.com/fren/pont However, the question was how to translate "faire le pont", which I think would be "do a bridge (pose)/do a crab"?


    Senior Member
    French - France
    It seems that all who suggested 'crab' are from the UK or Ireland.

    In the US, I've only heard it called a bridge.