faire un tour de table

CLEMENTINE

SWITZERLAND / FRENCH
Hello!

Comment peux on traduire "tour de table", lorsqu'on parle d'une réunion oú chaque participant est consulté tour à tour?

"Nous allons faire un rapide tour de table pour voir qui à quelque chose à ajouter"

Mille mercis pour votre aide

Cheerio

• cirrus

UK English
    CLEMENTINE said:
    Hello!

Comment peux on traduire "tour de table", lorsqu'on parle d'une réunion oú chaque participant est consulté tour à tour?

"Nous allons faire un rapide tour de table pour voir qui à quelque chose à ajouter"

Cheerio
    The literal translation - we'll go quickly round the table to see if anyone has some to add both works and is used. It isn't unusual to hear a discussion called a round table. (Sorry I am not a hundred per cent certain if the word is hyphenated or all one).

Does that help you any?

CLEMENTINE

SWITZERLAND / FRENCH
    cirrus said:
    The literal translation - we'll go quickly round the table to see if anyone has some to add both works and is used. It isn't unusual to hear a discussion called a round table. (Sorry I am not a hundred per cent certain if the word is hyphenated or all one).

Does that help you any?
    Well, I thought there would be an equivalent... I'll write a different sentence in my report then.. Thanks a lot anyway!

kiolbassa

English
    CLEMENTINE said:
    Hello!

Cheerio
    I would simply say "does anyone around the table have anything to add?" - faire un tour de table does not necessarily mean that each person around the table has to say something.
    cheers.

Kelly B

USA English
    In the US we commonly use a very similar expression to this
    cirrus said:
    we'll go quickly round the table
    We'll go around the table (to see whether anyone has anything to add).

aTo63

French (France)
    Bonjour,
    Comme dit-on en anglais 'tour de table'?
    Voici le contexte, en réunion: 'Faisons un rapide tour de table pour que chacun se présente'
    Merci.

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    I think I'd try, "Let's go around the table quickly so that everyone can introduce themselves."

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    Either one. I think strictly speaking "himself" is correct, but that can be a problem if there are women present as well. "Themselves" avoids that problem and is commonly used, though it's informal and colloquial.

franc 91

English - GB
    'Open the floor' gives me the impression that you are asking members of the audience seated 'on the floor' facing the panel who are on stage. In BE I think you would just say (in general terms) - Are there any other questions? Does anyone else wish to ask a question?/have a last question they wish to put to us? - (perhaps you would add) - if you would like to take it in turns to say something. In the official minutes of a meeting this is AOB - any other business.

Kelimutu

English GB
    "Open the floor to questions" is a standard term in Business English to ask for questions at the end of a meeting.. there are plenty of threads on this in Word Reference

Kelly B

USA English
    I agree that open the floor can be used in small group situations as well as large ones; at the same time, I don't think it's the same as going around the table, which puts each participant on the spot, however briefly. The latter is supposed to be a better way to elicit comments from the more reserved participants.

< Previous | Next >