faire un tour d'horizon

chain-reaction

France, french
Hello,

Je cherche à traduire l'expression "faire un tour d'horizon" dans le contexte suivant :
"Le stage de base permet de faire un vaste tour d'horizon des différentes techniques du yoga".

Ma suggestion : "With the basic level workshop you will be able to experience a broad view of the different techniques of yoga."

Evidemment, je m'écarte un peu du texte et c'est pourquoi j'apprécierais les suggestions de mes amis anglophones de naissance.

• hunternet

France - French
    --> maybe: The basic level will provide/give you a broad view/ an overview of the various yoga techniques ?

Marianne7

Uruguayan Spanish
    Hi, sorry I'm late, but I've found that the term used is "horizon scanning" : "The concept of horizon scanning is only vaguely defined and is used differently by various actors. Generally, it refers to two broad meanings: • In a narrow sense, it stands for a policy tool that aims to gather systematically a broad range of information and evidence about upcoming issues, trends, advancements, ideas, and events in an organization’s political, economic, social, technological, or ecological environment. • In a wider sense, it is used as a collective term for a multitude of so-called foresight activities that aim to improve the capabilities of organizations to deal with an uncertain and complex future".

Wodwo

UK English
    Hi, sorry I'm late, but I've found that the term used is "horizon scanning" : "The concept of horizon scanning is only vaguely defined and is used differently by various actors. Generally, it refers to two broad meanings: • In a narrow sense, it stands for a policy tool that aims to gather systematically a broad range of information and evidence about upcoming issues, trends, advancements, ideas, and events in an organization’s political, economic, social, technological, or ecological environment. • In a wider sense, it is used as a collective term for a multitude of so-called foresight activities that aim to improve the capabilities of organizations to deal with an uncertain and complex future".
    'Horizon scanning' may be used in some contexts (eg documents produced by international organizations) where English is used as a lingua franca by people who think in other languages, as the above quote suggests. It is almost certainly a translation of something like 'tour d'horizon' and would not be used, or indeed understood, by most English speakers in most contexts, unless to describe someone literally looking back and forth along the horizon, for example to see if a ship is approaching.

'Overview' is usually the most apt equivalent.

< Previous | Next >