faire valoir une offre

NHS

English (British)
Bonsoir,

Je trouve difficile de comprendre "faire valoir". Par exemple:

Il faudra que la France augmente ses circuits gastronomiques, viticoles et historiques, et continue à faire valoir l'offre française non seulement au sein de la France mais aussi au niveau mondial.

Traduction vers l'anglais:

France should increase its food, wine and historical tours, and continue to add value to (or promote?) the French package not only within France but also on a global scale.

J'ai vu d'autres postes sur le forum en ce qui concerne faire valoir mais je ne comprends pas toujours cette phrase.

Merci de corriger ma traduction si elle est mauvaise.

NHS

• NHS

English (British)
    SunnyS,

I don't know whether this will interest you but I managed to get an answer from a French friend who said that faire valoir in the given context would mean "to make the French offer worthy not only in France itself, but also on a global scale". I have taken this to mean also promote.

Thanks for your suggestion :)

NHS

SunnyS,

I don't know whether this will interest you but I managed to get an answer from a French friend who said that faire valoir in the given context would mean "to make the French offer worthy not only in France itself, but also on a global scale". I have taken this to mean also promote.

Thanks for your suggestion :)

NHS
    Good (that I was on the right track). :)

BTW, I don't think a native speaker would ever say "make an offer worthy..."

NHS

English (British)
    I think that's what was making it so difficult when I was looking at previous threads. It obviously has a specific meaning in French that we can't translate easily into English. And don't worry, I won't be using "to make an offer worthy" in my coursework!

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    a French friend who said that faire valoir in the given context would mean "to make the French offer worthy not only in France itself, but also on a global scale". I have taken this to mean also promote.
    Your friend's suggestion is gobbledygook in English, I fear. ;)

"Offer" is not used in this sense in English; rather, we refer to what is offered (or supplied, in economic terms).

Also, "make worthy" is simply not anything at all.

"Promote" is an excellent choice. I would probably say "promote what France has to offer".

The Pooh

English
    I know it's a bit late, but here are a few thoughts. "faire valoir" is a tricky one, there being a cultural component. It means to bring something forward, show or display it, in order to draw attention to its qualities. Such an act, when performed by a person, tends to be negatively connotated in British culture (think of "show off") but is neutral or positive among French-speaking people / culture. (If something is good then it deserves attention.) Here's an example: A l'issue de cette formation, l’étudiant aura acquis une connaissance et une expérience qu'il pourra faire valoir dans sa recherche d'un emploi

I'd suggest something like: students will have acquired knowledge and experience that they can proudly list on their cv when seeking work

Last edited:

LivingTree

Banned
    English - Canadian
    I have to disagree; "proudly list" goes well beyond faire valoir in your sentence, in my opinion. And I don't agree that the cultural difference you assert is in play here at all (or actually exists).

In your example, I might say simply that the student will be able to put that experience to use (perhaps "to good use", "put to good use" being a common expression) in their job search. That really is what faire valoir means in that and many contexts: put to (good) use.

Two different things:

http://www.larousse.com/en/dictionaries/french-english/propriété/80050#903741

elle fait valoir sa fille she pushes her daughter forward
    se faire valoir
    to show oneself off to advantage
    faire valoir un capital économie to turn a sum of money to (good) account, to make a sum of money yield a good profit
    faire valoir des terres/une propriété
    to derive profit from land/a property

< Previous | Next >