fairly consistently negatively

Fantaghiro

Français
Bonjour,

J'essaie de traduire cette phrase :

"Fertility is fairly consistently negatively related to the frequency of attendance at religious services."

"Plutôt constamment négativement relié" me semble bizarre au niveau du sens (en plus d'être super lourd)

Des idées ?

:)

• Fantaghiro

Français
    Bonjour Michelvar,

Dans le contexte, je ne pense pas que ça veuille dire ça. L'auteur indique juste après que moins on va à l'église, moins on a d'enfants...

Novanas

English AE/Ireland
    "Fertility is fairly consistently negatively related to the frequency of attendance at religious services."
    Bonjour,

... est, en général, inversement proportionnel à....
    Michelvar has got it right. This is what the English says. But if the author goes on to say this,

L'auteur indique juste après que moins on va à l'église, moins on a d'enfants...
    then I think he's got confused. Which is understandable, because I was getting confused myself. The English does make sense. It's just that you have to think about it a bit.

moustic

British English
    I would have said the same as Michelvar.
    If the meaning is "moins on va à l'église, moins on a d'enfants", then this sentence does not express this clearly.
    So:
    ... il existe une relation assez constante entre le taux de fertilité et l'assiduité à / la fréquentation de / la messe ...

Fantaghiro

Français
    Thank you all for your replies! :)

Actually, here is the complete sentence. This is a quote within a book. Maybe it'll help for the context, to see if the problem comes from the author:

""Fertility," they [the experts] note of the numbers, "is fairly consistently negatively related to the frequency of attendance at religious services, both in the U.S. and throughout Europe." In other words, women who don't do to church have fewer children than those who do."

Fantaghiro

Français
    Then it can't be translated in "la fertilité est, en général, inversement proportionnelle à fréquentation des services religieux." I mean, it is proportionate. Less church, less children.

:confused:

Fantaghiro

Français
    Lol! :)

So I'll use the example given by Moustic. It's a good way to get rid of the problem of the ambiguousness of the sentence.

Thanks a lot everyone !!! :thumbsup:

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Michelvar has got it right. This is what the English says. [...]
    That's not what it says to me, Novanas. The English for Michelvar's suggestion ("inversement proportionnel à") would be "inversely proportional to".
    If f = fertility, and a = attendance, then f = 1/a.

I'm not sure what "negatively related to" means (if anything): f = -a ?? ... To me, the sentence doesn't make sense.

But I do agree with you that the author seems confused. To get the intended meaning, you'd have to delete the word "negatively". I think moustic's translation works well.

Ws:)

Fantaghiro

Français
    Thanks for the explanation, Wordsmyth!

Yes, the author probably got confused. It wouldn't be the first time. The best thing is to make to sentence readable anyway, not to attract attention on it.

petit1

français - France
    Il y a malheureusement assez souvent une relation (un lien) entre la fertilité et l'assiduité dans la fréquentation des lieux de culte.

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    ...Yes, the author probably got confused. It wouldn't be the first time. The best thing is to make to sentence readable anyway, not to attract attention on it.
    I disagree. Either the author misquotes his source, or he misinterprets it. In any event, (if possible) you should check out with him what he meant to say. Translating is a service, not a test. You may save blushes all round; remember, the translator always gets blamed for the author's mistakes!

Uncle Bob

British English
    I'm not sure what "negatively related to" means (if anything): f = -a ?? ... To me, the sentence doesn't make sense.
    I could mean either y = f(1/x) or y = f(-x), neither of which necessarily means proportional. Still Michelvar's basic idea seems correct and the author is contradicting himself. Not being a translator I don't know if one should be faithful to the text or to the author!

Itisi

English UK/French
    [B said:
    Fantaghiro[/B];14190587] L'auteur indique juste après que moins on va à l'église, moins on a d'enfants...
    And it isn't news that practising Catholics, for example, are more likely to have big families.

PS - But Keith is right on principle...

Last edited:

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I could mean either y = f(1/x) or y = f(-x), neither of which necessarily means proportional. Still Michelvar's basic idea seems correct and the author is contradicting himself. [...]
    Agreed, Uncle B, that "related" suggests some function, but not necessarily proportionality. On the other hand, I can't see anything negative about f(1/x) for positive values of x (and I assume that church attendance can only be 0 or +ve ;)).

My guess is that the author, in using "negatively related", was thinking of the allegedly unfavourable effect on fertility of not going to church. But I think we're all agreed that the sentence doesn't say what it was meant to say.

I also have doubts about the correctness of the word "fertility", which is the ability to conceive — and that's not at all the same thing as actually having children (cf Itisi's point about large Catholic families). But given that the author of the book is quoting another source ('the experts'), I suppose it won't be easy to check what was really meant.

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >