fairly unpleasant character

user_gary

Banned
India - Hindi
The father in the film is portrayed as a fairly unpleasant character.(film refers to film in cinema)

What does `fairly unpleasant character' means in the above sentence.

• pachomius

USA / American English
    The father is not a nice person. "Fairly" softens "unpleasant". If the father were an unpleasant person, then he would definitely not be nice. If he is fairly unpleasant, then he is mildly unpleasant.

padredeocho

Banned
    United States
    The father in the film is portrayed as a fairly unpleasant character.(film refers to film in cinema)

What does `fairly unpleasant character' means in the above sentence.

He is a GROUCH, or he has SOURED ON LIFE, or he's a CURMUDGEON. Hope that helps. :)

coiffe

USA
    American English
    While I agree with Pachomius, I would add that "fairly unpleasant character" could very easily be meant as tongue-in-cheek, an understatement in some contexts -- so that actually the meaning could be "extremely unpleasant character."

Example: Imagine a preview of the movie that shows the man impaling his enemy on a stake. The narrator might then say, "he's a fairly unpleasant character."

mjscott

American English
    I agree with coiffe. Fairly unpleasant would not mean that he was fair--neither would he be lightly unpleasant. Fairly unpleasant is really, truly unpleasant--even to the most fair-minded people that would give him all excuses as to why he was grouchy--even to someone more than fair-minded--he would seem unpleasant.

coiffe

USA
    American English
    Yes, I'd bet that most of the time it would be an understatement meaning just the opposite of what it should mean literally.