Fairouz song

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    The first line is تذكر آخر مرة شفتك سنتها ("tizkor aakher marra shiftak sinta"), which means "Do you remember the last time I saw you that year?"

The phrase تذكر آخر مرة gets repeated throughout the song so if I had to guess what the name of the song was I'd say that's probably what it is.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    The song title is كيفك انت from an album of the same name.
    It's a very beautiful song, and my first time to listen to it ! Thank Josh :)

By the way, I don't know much about music, but I don't think this is an American or western music. There's one or more Arabic rythm(s) مقام/مقامات that resembles the western ones, and I think this is one.

Josh_

U.S., English
    They may have combined Arabic and American music, but the predominant sounds, i.e. the piano and the drums, are very American/western. Before my interest in Arabic I used to be a music major, believe it or not.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I knew you were interested in music from more than one thread :)

And, believe it or not, Piano and drums are used in many Arabic music, but with an "eastern" flavor, which means that piano in itself -though a western instrument- doesn't make the music western.
    But this is the opinion of a total ignorant :D

Josh_

U.S., English
    Believe it or not, I am aware that the piano is used in Arabic music, but this particular piece sounds like many American tunes and the piano notes fit within the even temperament of western music and contain no microtones of Arabic music. And the drums sound very much like that used in western music, not the usual Arabic drumming.

Wouldn't you agree that it is possible for an Arabic song to be set to western music? Or Arabic and American styles combined into one? Amr Diab, for example, combines many eastern and western musical elements.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Josh Adkins said:
    Wouldn't you agree that it is possible for an Arabic song to be set to western music? Or Arabic and American styles combined into one? Amr Diab, for example, combines many eastern and western musical elements.
    I was just going to say yes, with Diab on mind, when I saw the rest of your sentence :)
    Yes, many Arabic songs have western rhythms, but I felt this one was not that westernized -at least in some parts of it.

< Previous | Next >