1. kwickykoala Member

    switzerland (french+english)
    Bon je cherche à savoir comment on dit -FAIT DIVERS- en anglais? les faits divers que l'on retrouve dans la presse écrite ou télévisée... comme une fusillade dans un bar ou alors un chien écrasé. Could it be either "a trivial event" or "a miscellaneous event?". Maybe also "general news"? Any helps more than welcome! Thanks in advance. I need to know as my thesis is about it and we need to present our project in english (and not in french), so that's the reason why. Bye bye. :thumbsup:
  2. whatonearth Senior Member

    UK, English
    Umm...I suppose you could say 'current affairs' - although this is generally used for larger/more important/national events in the news, rather than local news stories. 'recent stories in the news' would be a long-winded way of saying that. Or more simply 'in the news', which would probably be the most commonly used.

    Hope that helps! :)

    I apologise for not replying in French but my skills are very poor!
  3. kwickykoala Member

    switzerland (french+english)
    cheers whatonearth!
    i think 'current affairs' is good. but my main problem is that i'm doing my project about an event which actually happened 3 years ago. so i take it the 'CURRENT affairs' is not working in that case.
    Recent stories is good as well but then again there's that -temporal-
    information which is a bit annoying I guess, given that it happened a couple
    of year ago. Fait divers in french doesn't necessary imply time notion. It has just happened. It could be either old or brand new. Erm...
    The event was actually a cheated husband who came into a cafe with a gun and shot three times at his wife and her lover. Maybe there's a more specific word for that type of story.
    I guess I'll go with the 'In the news'. Seems to be the best one.
    Thanks for sharing! This forum is a really friendly and handy place.
    Feel free to answer in english I love reading/talking/hearing english! So just go ahead! :D
  4. whatonearth Senior Member

    UK, English
    Actually, I just realised something, since it was a crime (i.e. a man shooting a woman) we might be more likely to refer to it as a 'case in the news' rather than a 'story in the news'. This refers to it being a 'criminal case', rather than just a regular news story. So you might say, 'there was a case in news several years ago about...' or something like that. But you could use 'story' instead, its perfectly correct, I'm just being picky!
  5. germinal

    germinal Senior Member

    Bradford, England
    England English
    I have been reading faits-divers as news in brief but now you have made me wonder if I was wrong. Are news items that are dealt with at length still known by this name? :confused:

    Germinal. :)

  6. kwickykoala Member

    switzerland (french+english)
    Hey thanks for the feedback.
    whatonearth: yep case in the news several years ago sounds good!
    and it's my turn to be picky, do you think it's still a crime if people
    didn't get killed? in this case the woman was slightly injured and
    the lover severely injured? and yep, story is also ok, THANKS!
    germinal: hello, i'm not sure if i got your drift, but did you mean that
    you already saw FAITS-DIVERS written in british news paper? if that's
    the case, I'll just tell the jury I've been working on a fait-divers. And If they don't get it I'll talk about a case in the news which occured a couple of years ago. But you raised a good question...
    -Are news items that are dealt with at length still known by this name?-
    Thank you guys for the precious help.
  7. la grive solitaire

    la grive solitaire Senior Member

    United States, English
    Hi kwickykoala,

    I think of "fait divers" as "headline news". Might this work?
  8. RobInAustin Senior Member

    Austin, Texas USA
    US English, French
    To me, I would go with "In the News". "Case in the news" sounds weird in English. "Headline News" to me, sounds too "important".
  9. germinal

    germinal Senior Member

    Bradford, England
    England English

    Perhaps just News Items? :)


  10. Cath.S.

    Cath.S. Senior Member

    Bretagne, France
    français de France
    • Breaking News: Accidents
    • Crime News
    • News & Society
    • News > Crime
    • Crime Watch
    • News | Traffic | Crime Stoppers | Crime | Weather | Mideast Battlefield |
    All those categories (found on various Internet news sites) would have been called faits-divers in French.
    I doubt it is possible to find a general translation for the expression.
  11. xdancer New Member

    English/ US
    if it is one of those little random articles about crime, i would call it something from the POLICE BLOTTER -- a director friend i know saves a lot of them for inspiration --
  12. sound shift

    sound shift Senior Member

    Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "Faits divers" is often rendered as "Human Interest Stories" in English. As explained above, the category is home to the "Fire Brigade Rescues Cat from Tree" - type of story, rather than political or economic items.
  13. CalifornianParisian New Member

    United States--- English
    I would agree with what many of you have said and add that I asked my French teacher about the meaning of "fait divers" the other day. She said it was like minor news stories as opposed to the really important stories. It is like a small story that would not last more than one report; it is mentioned once and not again (usually) That is my understanding.
  14. gws75 Senior Member

    American English
    On CNN, these stories are called offbeat.
  15. erwan1980 Member

    London UK
    Simply use "other news" or "odd news"
  16. RuK Senior Member

    Outside Paris
    English/lives France
    Human interest stories.

    The use of "Current affairs" "news briefs" etc is WRONG. Those are for "serious" political news. Fait divers are NOT "Actualités en bref".
  17. pyan

    pyan Senior Member

    Vendée, France
    English, UK, London
    There are lots of good suggestions. There is not one single best translation. Here are two suggestions that I think are very good.

    I think this is good.

    I think this is good, too.

    I hope this helps.
  18. pjnord New Member

    English - US
    In the newspaper industry in the US reporters use the word "blurbs" for short stories like this that don't have much news importance.
  19. kaarel

    kaarel New Member

    English - Australia
    The actual answer is that there is no term for the concept in English. Fait divers seems to cover what is considered tabloid journalism in English but there is no one term in English to cover the sort of stories covered by the French term. It can only be defined in terms of its characteristics, such as, only locally important, possibly sensational, or in terms of what it is not, such as weighty and of general importance.

Share This Page