Faith is power

Common_girl

Kyiv, Ukrainian
Salvete, amici,

Could you help, please? I would be really grateful if you help with translation "Faith is power".

Thank you a lot

• Scholiast

saluete amici!

I am intrigued to know whether there is a Ukrainian proverb or motto which Miss Common_girl is trying to translate. My first instincts were to think of fidere est posse, but I would like to be on surer ground than so far I am.

Σ

Common_girl

Kyiv, Ukrainian
    Saluete Mister Scholiast,
    Regarding faith we have the proverb meaning something like "God saves careful people". As I understand it's similar to your proverb "Better safe than sorry".
    Thank you for answering!

Scholiast

Thank you, Miss.

I am a little mystified. "God saves careful people" seems quite remote from "Faith is power".

To enable me to help further, perhaps you could write this in its original form? I can read Cyrillic script, and know a bit of Russian, though not (so far) Ukrainian—but I can probably figure it out if you send in the original that you would like translated.

Σ

Common_girl

Kyiv, Ukrainian
    Sorry for confusing information, I woner about translation "Faith is power" (Вера это сила). And it is not the Ukrainian proverb, I meant that we have the proverb with the opposite meaning, I think I should not have written any information about proverbs, my fault

Scholiast

Dear Miss Common_girl

Yes I see that Вера это сила is, word for word, 'Faith is power'. In the circumstances, I can do no better than my previous suggestion (in # 5) of fides est posse.

But our friend bearded from Italy (in # 2 here) is inclined to underrate his scholarship and skills, so you may wish to run with his proposal instead. I would welcome of course his opinion.

Σ

bearded

Standard Italian
    But our friend bearded from Italy (in # 2 here) is inclined to underrate his scholarship and skills,
    That's very kind of you!
    Since you are asking, I'd go for either
    fidere (not fides, #9) est posse
    or
    fides potestas est
    at questioner's choice. I think that both formulations work.
    Your suggestion with the two infinitives is more classical in style (nothing different could be expected!), my proposal is more modest and literal.

Common_girl

Kyiv, Ukrainian
    Dear Mister Bearded and Mister Scholiast,

Thank you so much for your attention and your knowledge!
    Now I think I have the right answer

< Previous | Next >