fall asleep on me

OapTao

français - France
Hello everybody
How can I translate : "Not falling asleep on me, are you?"
Context: it' a guy waiting for another guy, and he's lying on a couch, thinking, and he don't hear the other guy coming in. So the other guy tells the sentence above to the first one. (Precision: they are not homosexuals)
I think it's an expression, as "tu ne vas pas t'endormir sur moi" sounds not appropriate in french.
Many thanks in advance!

Jean-Marc

• philipmay

United States, English
    Just to clarify, he's not literally falling asleep on someone. It's similar to "you're not backing out on me, are you?"

Hello everybody
    How can I translate : "Not falling asleep on me, are you?"
    Context: it' a guy waiting for another guy, and he's lying on a couch, thinking, and he don't hear the other guy coming in. So the other guy tells the sentence above to the first one. (Precision: they are not homosexuals)
    I think it's an expression, as "tu ne vas pas t'endormir sur moi" sounds not appropriate in french.
    Many thanks in advance!

Jean-Marc

OapTao

français - France
    Thank you very much, philipmay & moustic !
    I think I'll use Moustic's expression, because it fits very well the context (both have done a hard work).

Language Hound

American English
    It's similar to "you're not backing out on me, are you?"
    I have never heard of this meaning (not to say it doesn't exist!) and haven't been able to
    find any examples of it.
    Could you provide some examples of this use?
    Thanks!

P.S. I immediately understood it as Moustic did.

Language Hound

American English
    puisque l'anglais mentionne "on me", serait-il vraiment faux de traduire par "tu ne vas pas t'endormir sur moi (quand même)!" ?
    Oui. "On me" is idiomatic, not literal here, and is probably best explained by Itisi's "tu ne me fais pas (le coup de t'endormir)."
    Other examples: Don't get sick on me! Don't get all emotional on me!

Hi ! Or : " hé, dégage de là ( tu pèses une tonne) !" :)
    This wouldn't work because in the OP's context, the two people are not in bed. One is lying on the couch, the other is coming into the room.

Cross-posted with Itisi.

emvl

French
    Bonjour

Would it be possible that the "on me" in this context mean "on my watch" or "on my responsibility" ?

OapTao

français - France
    Well, I agree with Language Hound. In the context of the story, Guy 1 is waiting for Guy 2, he asked him to come despite Guy 2 has something else to do. So Guy 2 is a little bit bored to come nevertheless, and when he find Guy 1 lying on the couch and seeming to sleep (but deep in his thoughts in fact), he's ennoyed somewhat. Therefore his exclamation: "Not falling asleep on me, are you?" ("Tu ne vas pas t'endormir, quand même ?" ou "Tu ne me fais pas le coup de dormir, quand même ?")
    Thank you everybody!

< Previous | Next >