fall asleep thinking of you

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by zozu, Jun 6, 2006.

1. zozu Member

Haiti Creole
    How would you translate: last night, I fell asleep thinking of you. This morning, I woke up by the toughts of you in French?

2. TA4U Senior Member

près de Montréal
    Français, Québec
    Je me suis endormi(e) en pensant à toi hier soir. Ce matin, je me suis éveillé(e) en pensant à toi en Français.

3. pyrra New Member

lol, effaces les mots "en francais"

4. Canard Senior Member

Portland, OR
    English, USA
    Pour un coup de parallélisme, je remanierais les choses un tout petit peu :) Et la dernière partie de la phrase est un peu loin du départ.

Hier soir, je me suis endormi(e) en pensant à toi. Ce matin, je me suis éveillé(e) à force de penser à toi.

5. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    I beg to differ, Canard. à force de penser à toi would mean (s)he would be awakened by the thoughts of the other person. Yet what is said in the original sentence is merely that when (s)he woke up, (s)he thought of the other person. Hence I would keep T4U's translation.
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  6. Canard Senior Member

Portland, OR
    English, USA
    Well that's exactly the impression I got from the English sentence, that the thoughts were what woke the person up, but I suppose English not being the original poster's native language, it could be mistaken. It would make more sense for it to be parallelism, but why isn't it the same in English then? Maybe zozu can clarify for us :)

7. pyrra New Member

merci!!!!!! :)

8. pyrra New Member

"en francais" is not part of what i wanted to be translated. lol but thank you so much for your reply :)