fall behind in/ or with...

< Previous | Next >

amby

Banned
chinese
I googled and found both fall behind in.... and fall behind with.... Which one is correct?

International students are more likely to fall behind in study compared with their English-speaking counterparts.
International students are more likely to fall behind with their study compared with their English speaking counterparts.
International students fall behind English speaking counterparts in/or with(?) study.

• williamloaf

American English
    I googled and found both fall behind in.... and fall behind with.... Which one is correct?

International students are more likely to fall behind in study compared with their English-speaking counterparts.
    International students are more likely to fall behind with their study compared with their English speaking counterparts.
    International students fall behind English speaking counterparts in/or with(?) study.
    First, it should be "their studies," not "their study" or simply "study."

"With their studies" doesn't sound completely wrong, but "in their studies" definitely sounds much better.

NTV

Banned
    Japanese
    fall behind with something
    (also fall behind on something especially in North American English) to not pay or do something at the right time
    They had fallen behind on their mortgage repayments.
    He's fallen behind with his school work again.

Does the second sentence sound better with "in" instead of with?

heypresto

English - England
    Does the second sentence sound better with "in" instead of with?
    No, with sounds perfect to me in this sentence. It would also be natural in a sentence like 'He's fallen behind with the rent'.

If we were talking about the specific subjects or areas of study he was not doing so well at, we might say 'He is falling behind in English (or mathematics or history etc).

< Previous | Next >