fall / fall over / tip over

< Previous | Next >

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please imagine your friend suddenly asking the following while chatting.

By the way, have you ever seen a motorbike _______?

1. fall
2. fall over
3. tip over

Are the three expressions the same in meaning or would you only answer "Yes" to #1 if you had seen the vehicle fall off a cliff etc.?

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    If the scenario here is that the bike did this spontaneously because the prop stand wasn't lowered properly, then in BE it would be #2.

lingobingo

English - England
    Agreed.

Tip over is a valid expression but doesn’t sound right for something as heavy as a motorbike. Topple over would work though, meaning overbalance.

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you both very much. Sorry if I misunderstand your replies. Do "fall over" and "topple over" both work when it happened while the rider was riding it (because of a slippery road surface, careless driving, etc.)?

lingobingo

English - England
    No. Like DonnyB, I assumed you meant the vehicle was stationary and not being ridden. Those terms don’t work if you’re referring to an accident/incident while riding a motorbike.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Thank you both very much. Sorry if I misunderstand your replies. Do "fall over" and "topple over" both work when it happened while the rider was riding it (because of a slippery road surface, careless driving, etc.)?
    No. You'd have to say something like "come off the road".

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you all very much. So, are those the most common expressions to use when that happened?

e.g. I was driving on a motorway the other day and suddenly a motorbike driving in front of me < came off the road / overturned >. Fortunately, it didn't hit my car.

< Previous | Next >