Fall for

123xyz

Macedonian
Could someone tell me what the Turkish translation of "to fall for" is, in the sense of being deceived? I've found "dalgaya düşmek" so far - is that suitable? Meanwhile, I've also know of "kanmak", but I'm looking for something more figurative and colloquial.

Example sentence:
He said that I should wait in the parking lot while he went to go and collect the money; I can't believe I fell for that - I haven't seen him (or the money) since then.
O parayı alarken benim otoparkta beklemek gerektiğimi söyledi; ondan dalgaya düştüğümü inanamam - ondan beri ne onu ne parayı görmedim (?)

Thank you in advance

• adelan

Turkish
    I've never used "dalgaya düşmek" since it has a meaning of "being moony" in Turkish. I prefer "yemek" if we are looking for a natural translation of being deceived yet my friends could give more examples like: kanmak, inanmak, tongaya düşmek etc.

There is problem in English sentence since "he went to go" is meaningless but as an example it could be translated as:

Parayı almak için gideceğini ve benim beklemem gerektiğini söyledi. Bunu nasıl yediğime inanamıyorum, onu da parayı da bir daha görmedim.

123xyz

Macedonian
    Thank you for the reply. What do you mean by "being moony", though - being generally naive and detached from reality, referring to a continuous personality state, rather than an isolated event? By the way, I'm sorry about the "went to go" - I meant to write merely "he went to collect".

adelan

Turkish
    Dalgaya düştüm sounds like "dalgınlığıma geldi" which means I was so moony at that time that I couldn't predict what will happen. You may say "detached from reality for a while" as well.

Ali Smith

Urdu - Pakistan
    What about devrilmek, which means exactly the same thing as düşmek 'to fall'? They are interchangeable in all other contexts, e.g. arabası devrildi = arabası düştü 'His car fell over (e.g. because of a strong gust of wind).'

Rallino

Moderatoúrkos
    Turkish
    It doesn't work in this context. Düşmek can be used in expressions having to do with being deceived, but devrilmek doesn't have such connotations.

drowsykush

Turkish
    What about devrilmek, which means exactly the same thing as düşmek 'to fall'? They are interchangeable in all other contexts, e.g. arabası devrildi = arabası düştü 'His car fell over (e.g. because of a strong gust of wind).'

I don't think devrilmek is the same thing as düşmek.

When someone says "arabası düştü", it is assumed that the car has fallen from a high place (a cliff or whatever), not rolled over.

-------------

And for the translation of "to fall for", I would use "tufaya gelmek/düşmek", which is more colloquial than the others.

shafaq

Turkish
    Could someone tell me what the Turkish translation of "to fall for" is, in the sense of being deceived? I've found "dalgaya düşmek" so far - is that suitable? Meanwhile, I've also know of "kanmak", but I'm looking for something more figurative and colloquial.

Example sentence:
    He said that I should wait in the parking lot while he went to go and collect the money; I can't believe I fell for that - I haven't seen him (or the money) since then.
    O parayı alarken benim otoparkta beklemek gerektiğimi söyledi; ondan dalgaya düştüğümü inanamam - ondan beri ne onu ne parayı görmedim (?)

Thank you in advance
    I think Adelan's "tongaya düşmek" is more suitable at your context. You may say "Bu tongaya nasıl düştüm/düştüğümü bilemiyorum", instead of problematic "ondan dalgaya düştüğümü inanamam" .
    There is also "faka basmak" in the same sense along side

drowsykus's "tufaya gelmek/düşmek".