Fall in love

eddiemel7778

Portuguese/Brazil
Hi, guys this is Eddie here.
It's been quite a long time sisnce I last accessed the forum.
I have a question. I read the other day the following sentece " I fell in love with him last year, but now I have fallen out of love with him"
Can I ever say "to fall out of love"?

Another question: Is it correct to say " yesterday night"? I have learned that You can only say "last night".

Thanks for your hepl guys.
Love you all,
Eddie.

• bartonig

UK English
    Hi, guys this is Eddie here.
    It's been quite a long time sisnce I last accessed the forum.
    I have a question. I read the other day the following sentece " I fell in love with him last year, but now I have fallen out of love with him"
    Can I ever say "to fall out of love"? Yes

Another question: Is it correct to say " yesterday night"? I have learned that You can only say "last night".

Yesterday evening but not yesterday night. Last night is good. So, too, is yesternight although probably only in poetry.

Thanks for your hepl guys.
    Love you all,
    Eddie.

chat9998

English, US
    Hi Eddie,

Welcome back to the forum! :)

You can definitely say "to fall out of love," it's a rather long infinitive, isn't it? :)

I have heard "yesterday night," but you'd be better off to say "last night."

Insider - I haven't ever heard "yesterday's night," but I'm sure if it were said, it would be understood; though, again, last night would be preferable.

Hope this helps!
    God bless,
    Jeff

Iona

English England
    Hello - I have never heard 'yesterday's night' - last night but yesterday evening(not night) and yes, 'falling out of love' has entered common English usage I suppose as a play on 'falling in love' ..Iona