Fall into alcohol/drugs?

< Previous | Next >

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
I know the expression Fall into bad habits exists in English, but can you say He fell into alcohol/drugs?

If not, what would you say? :confused:

• JamesM

It's not common, but I think you could say, "he fell into drug use" or "he fell into using drugs." You could also say, "he fell into alcoholism" or "he fell into alcohol abuse."

To simply say "he fell into drugs/alcohol" sounds a little like there was a barrel of drugs or alcohol and he fell into it.

You could also use "sank" instead of "fell" if the use was part of a depression or downfall of some kind.

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    Thanks JamesM.

Imagine someone falls in with the wrong kind of people. Their parents might be afraid of them "falling into drugs" "hitting the bottle" I want to convey the meaning of "falling from grace"

How can you convey the same meaning as "To hit the bottle" in the case of drugs?

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Kuleshov, it might be helpful if you told us what you think "hitting the bottle" means. I'm a little confused about your comparison of that phrase to "falling from grace".

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    It simply means to start drinking too much booze.

I used the expression Falling from grace to render the image of a "fallen person", someone who starts drinking too much or starts taking drugs because they feel lost, like celebrities, who might be on top of the world and next day they "fall from grace", and start doing what I said before.

So, if we were talking about celebrities, we could use the expressions I'm looking for.

Cheers

Dimcl

Canadian English
    I honestly can't think of anything other than being involved in the "drug culture". This would express the involvement as a lifestyle but I can't think of anything comparable to "hitting the bottle".

I can find lots of slang regarding specific drugs and the methods employed to use them (here) but nothing general like "doing drugs".

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    Thanks.

I was trying to find a phrasal verb actually. I mean, instead of saying: "She started doing drugs when she left home." something like: "She + phrasal verb in the past+ drugs."

I guess I've been looking for something that doesn't exist.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    You might say - people do say - somebody "was into drugs".

To be into is a general way to say that someone likes or is involved in something, not only drugs: "He was into model airplanes/ cooking/ politics." I can't think of phrasal verb that applies to drugs alone.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Sometimes you come across "... took to alcohol ...", "... took to drugs ...".
    I don't know how much this is used or if there is any geographical/regional variation in it's use.

(He probably took to drink rather than alcohol :))

xqby

English (U.S.)
    I've always been a fan of spiraling [downwards] into drugs and debauchery, though less as a recreational activity than as a figure of speech.

If she was taking drugs intravenously you could say, "She started shooting up when she left home." I can't think of a phrasal verb for taking pills.
    It's not a phrasal verb, but I would say "popping" for pills.

kuleshov

Spain Spanish
    Thank you all.

My phrasal verb dictionary says: Take to: To start doing something as a habit.

And the Oxford Dictionary of Current Idiomatic English says: Take to: adopt as a habit, practice, pastime, etc. O (=Oject): drink(ing), drugs, smoking, etc.

So, bingo panjandrum!!!

Cheers :)

Basil Ganglia

English - USA
    Ten to fifteen years ago when my kids were teen-agers, I heard them and their friends use both "drugging" and "doing" as slang verbs for using drugs.

"She's drugging again."
    "Jason started doing after he hooked up with Shannon."

Of course, using doing in this sense is very context dependent. I also have no knowledge as to the extent to which those verbs are used in those senses. I do still occasionally encounter "doing" to mean "using drugs".

"Using" is also occasionally used by itself, with context, to mean using drugs.

branchsnapper

English - South England
    There are a fair few google hits for "fell into drugs", although people would usually phrase it another way it seems a fairly obvious contraction to make.

< Previous | Next >