fall into arrears

< Previous | Next >


When someone falls behind in his payments (mortgage / home loan in my context), can you say that he falls into arrears? Is that correct? Thank you for your help!
Last edited:
  • baker589

    Senior Member
    English - England
    Yes, that's the correct use. It's not very common, however, so I would be more inclined to say he fell/is falling behind on his payments or he is missing payments/has missed payments


    New Member
    I consider arrears to be more of a legal term; for example, you might use it if you were writing a demand letter for payment or in a legal filing.

    Matching Mole

    Senior Member
    England, English
    I don't think it's that uncommon, or particularly restricted to a strictly legal context. I think it's a fairly familiar phrase, in the UK at least, and is used by ordinary people. E.g. "I fell into arrears so lost tax relief. What can I do?"; "I fell into arrears just over a year back".
    < Previous | Next >