fall into memory?

< Previous | Next >

breskva

Polish
Hello,

I've got a question: can I say "It fell into my memory" with the meaning of "I remembered it very well"? I know there are expressions such as "It was etched on my memory", but is the version with 'to fall into' also correct?

Thanks

• Jericho-79

English - British
    I haven't heard anyone use the phrase "Fall into memory".

English speakers mostly use "in my memory."

Dimcl

Canadian English
    If I were to read that phrase, I would think it was something that you had just remembered. In other words, you've been trying to remember a name and then it "just fell into your memory". "fell into" implies an abrupt appearance, not something deeply etched.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I agree with Dimcl's explanation of what "fell into my memory" would suggest.

We do use the expression "was burned into my memory" to describe an extreme case, when something makes a strong impression in a short time. I believe that it is stronger than "etched into my memory."

manon33

English - England (Yorkshire)
    To refer to something as 'falling into' one's memory is not usual in English. Memories can be 'deeply-buried', or 'brought to the surface of one's memory' I suppose, but they don't 'fall' anywhere.

breskva

Polish
    Thank you all for your help :) I wasn't sure about this 'falling into one's memory' expression myself. Now I know I'll have to phrase slightly differently what I wanted to say.

< Previous | Next >